• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stats on pet ownership is the US

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Came across this info and thought it was interesting so I thought I would share. :) It comes the American Pet Product Association

Pet Industry Market Size & Ownership Statistics

You have to scroll down a bit to get info on birds. But apparently there are 20.3 million pet birds in the USA. I wish they had broken it down more in to type of birds.

I was kind of surprise how little we pay for pets themselves. Obviously caring for your pet properly is quite costly. But I don't know the numbers kind surprised me. The 2.1 billion is definitely a lot but it seems small percentage of last year's 66.75 billion in total spending. I like to think that's good thing and that's because it's so small that it's therefore easier for change to happen. As I love to see how animals is the pet trade are treated. I also hope it means that most people really are willing to spend money on proper care too. Just my 2 cents :2cents:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Interesting stats...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Their pet numbers are estimated at best. Still whooping numbers.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was distracted by the bottom number. Only $47 spent annually on dog toys. I spend way more than that on my springer. I sometimes spend that monthly.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I realize these numbers are estimates at best but I'm curious how close to actuality they really are? I'd like to think I'm in the norm for what I spend on my pets yearly. I don't vet them for every little questionable thing but do take them when needed, buy what's necessary to keep them healthy and happy and yet some of the numbers seem a little off. I'm assuming those are the areas where they just added misc. into the loop, but still... Maybe mine are more spoiled than I think. :)