• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures My Pet Rats

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So cute :)

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
The only times I've been bit was when they mistook my finger for food. The look on their faces....it's like, OMG I'm SO sorry!!
Oh yeah. I know that look. I think all of mine have done that at some point, never with full force, as they soon realise it's my finger. :)

So cute!

I've had hamsters and guinea pigs before, but never rats.

Don't think wife is too keen on them, although she may be softening since we've had now had guineas and hammies recently...
I love guinea pigs with a passion. Their cute little noises make my heart squeal. :xflove:
If you want to convince her to get rats I'd find out what it is she doesn't like about them.
Most of the things people have against them are just misconceptions. :)
For example, most people think rats are dirty creatures, when they're said to be the cleanest pet rodent. Though, if she's squeamish about the tail not much can be done for that, I do believe tailless rats are a thing, though? :lol::heart:

One of my girls had been spayed (I always had them spayed at the same time as removing their first mammary tumours to reduce the risk of recurrence) and, as she was the last of mine, she ended up with a very handsome companion called Fergus. He'd been bought for children who lost interest in him and he was just stuck in a cage in the bathroom until he got handed into a rescue, and he was the sweetest little dude ever. He was actually more interested in people than food - I'd give him his dinner but he wanted to be fussed and played with rather than eat! He just really really wanted to hang out with people and cuddle and have his head scratched.

To be honest, it's important that you keep older male rats moving - they can get incredibly lazy and it's good for their health to not let them sit around cuddling all day! I used to scatter feed and make foraging toys to encourage mine to be active.
He sounds amazing. What a sweetie. Mulan is quite like that. She's always looking for attention, and more fussed about it when I give them their dinner. I love how they all have their unique personalities. :p:xflove:
I make them foraging toys too! They're so fun to watch them figure it out.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Yeah the girls tend to be busy. The boys laze around - my oldest two are, my "Sweet Old Fatties."

If someone is on the fence about getting some, punch up a Pinterest page featuring them (there must be dozens) - cute overload.

I would suggest a newbie get them from a good breeder. They will have better sanitary habits if they are in a spacious, litter box appointed cage from birth. Feeder rats can make good pets too, but they may be a little messier, and if they were fed cheap dog food, it will take a couple weeks for the poops to stop stinking.

Also, in my experience, while hairless are beautiful, they remain just a tad smelly. Don't know why.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tailless rats tend to have issues - rats' tails are an extension of their spines, and from what I've read tailless rats tend to have problems with their pelvis because it's basically a skeletal deformity. Tails are also immensely important for heat regulation and for balance. If someone genuinely can't deal with a rat's tail, then a rat isn't the pet for them - much as if someone can't deal with the noise, they shouldn't get a parrot.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I didn't much like the tails at first. I got used to them. Now, I see the tail as part of the overall rattie charm.
Just don't accidentally close the cage door on one.

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Yeah the girls tend to be busy. The boys laze around - my oldest two are, my "Sweet Old Fatties."

If someone is on the fence about getting some, punch up a Pinterest page featuring them (there must be dozens) - cute overload.

I would suggest a newbie get them from a good breeder. They will have better sanitary habits if they are in a spacious, litter box appointed cage from birth. Feeder rats can make good pets too, but they may be a little messier, and if they were fed cheap dog food, it will take a couple weeks for the poops to stop stinking.

Also, in my experience, while hairless are beautiful, they remain just a tad smelly. Don't know why.
Haha, I've never been a fan of hairless animals. Which is why if I ever get another cat I'd be happy to struggle through my allergies than get the "hypoallergenic ones". :)
It's a shame feeder rats are given such a bad diet. :/ You'd think even if they're used for food they deserve a good life beforehand, and surely it's more nutritional for the snake/lizard, whatever.

Tailless rats tend to have issues - rats' tails are an extension of their spines, and from what I've read tailless rats tend to have problems with their pelvis because it's basically a skeletal deformity. Tails are also immensely important for heat regulation and for balance. If someone genuinely can't deal with a rat's tail, then a rat isn't the pet for them - much as if someone can't deal with the noise, they shouldn't get a parrot.
I suppose that's true. I didn't know about the whole pelvis problem thing, but it's been reported tailless rats have pretty good balance despite not having their tail. Personally I don't see an issue (I assume tailless rats are born that way/have it through an accident?), if they wanted a tailless rat from a rescue or because it was born that way, as long as there's not some people who purposely cut of their tails to make money I don't know of? :depressed::blink:
Existing tailless rats need love too! :D

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Everyone's rats are SO adorable! I'm in love with rats! I've always wanted rats, but my mom still sees them as dirty, nasty animals, when they're not! Whenever the topic of pet rats comes up in my family, I try to just give some nice rat facts like: they groom as much, if not more, than a cat; they can be litter box trained; very smart, very cuddly; are like a mix between a cat and a dog, but in a small, cute package!

And I don't think my mother's views on the critters are going to change.

I've only had one pet rodent in my life before, when I was like 6 or 7. Apparently I didn't clean my hamster's cage well enough, and since then my family has not gotten a single rodent. But I mean, how good of a pet owner do you expect a 6 year old to be? Anyways I think they know I'm capable of caring for a little hamster or rodent again, they just don't want one. All the same, I've been researching pet rodent species and their care just IN CASE they ever change their mind, lol, but I don't think it will happen.

Anyways, your rats are ADORABLE! They look so cuddly and sweet! :)

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Thank you, you're so kind! :)
It took a long time to convince my mum to like them, she had that stereotype of a dirty, vicious sewer rat in her head.
Though as soon as she met mine she fell in love with them. :D

Maybe try bring her to a rat breeders just to see rats, and how nice they are? Or maybe if you have a friend with rats, ask if your mum can see them. Wouldn't recommend a pet shop because rats there don't tend to be tamed and will soil themselves and potentially nip in desperation as they're so scared by human contact (Jasmine, my rescue rat was like that when I took her home for the first day) and while they can still make lovely pets (with a lot of work!) they wouldn't make your mum's impression of rats any better.
Good luck!
Enjoy the company of your budgies in the meantime! Birds are just as great as rats.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thank you, you're so kind! :)
It took a long time to convince my mum to like them, she had that stereotype of a dirty, vicious sewer rat in her head.
Though as soon as she met mine she fell in love with them. :D

Maybe try bring her to a rat breeders just to see rats, and how nice they are? Or maybe if you have a friend with rats, ask if your mum can see them. Wouldn't recommend a pet shop because rats there don't tend to be tamed and will soil themselves and potentially nip in desperation as they're so scared by human contact (Jasmine, my rescue rat was like that when I took her home for the first day) and while they can still make lovely pets (with a lot of work!) they wouldn't make your mum's impression of rats any better.
Good luck!
Enjoy the company of your budgies in the meantime! Birds are just as great as rats.
My older sister and her husband used to have rats (two of them), but they both died, and they don't have them anymore (instead they have 3 dogs and 2 cats).

I am! I'm currently working with my two birds on getting use to new stuff! Both birds and small animals are amazing pets! :)