• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can we lower the screaming?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Apologies for this being so long.
Hi, some of you already know about Torrie tiel and my quest to lower the amount of screaming. I have been partially successful over the past 6 weeks, and for that I am happy and grateful. Now let's look at a couple specific cases...

BAck story: Torrie lost her mate about a year ago. She began screaming *some* at that point. Then I gave away Torrie and my other (quiet) female cockatiel when we were about to move to a condo. We didn't move, the guy brought them back when he had family problems. Both tiels who I had since babies and who used to be quiet, very tame/friendly birds are now kind of wild. They scream, well it is mostly Torrie, and Spirit follows her. They've taught the baby caique to scream too. It's a scream fest!

I have been doing some clicker training, some reading to them, and a whole lot of hanging out in the bird room. It has been a partial success. The screaming is a lot less, and although they'd prefer to stay on top of a high-up cage, they do occasionally come down for pets. Spirit more than Torrie. I took Spirit into the other cage, in another room, and she trembled the whole time and watched the dog. So I don't think they'll enjoy that. Plus she bit me. I think something happened with dogs while they were gone -- the guy has 8.

Both enjoyed the clicker training the couple times I got them onto the perch. A year ago they'd step up. Now they really won't, if I open the cage door in the morning and pet them, then ask for a step up, they bob their heads back down for more pets and ignore me. Spirit will run away and even hiss -- often not letting me touch her at all. If Torrie were a bull, she would be ramming me with her horns the way she insists on pets. She has only stepped up twice VERY BRIEFLY since she's been home.

Anyway: They scream whenever the door slams (when people are going in and out through the garage). I try to say hello and whistle, but I get that one and it's acceptable if there is no way to change it. The door slams about, oh, 40 times a day.

They scream when I walk out the door to the bird room, or even look like I might walk out. I go in and out a lot, especially when changing water or other chores. I used to say "I'll be back." I've decided I'm sort of reinforcing by saying that, so I need to stop. What else can I do to change this? As I said they are on top of a cage most of the time, I can't give a treat if they do happen to be quiet. Which they never have.

When I am in the room adn the screaming starts, Torrie is usually up high and wants to come down to me, but she can't make herself fly down. She will do this for 1/2 hour. If I climb up she runs away. Sometimes she will climb down that cage, turn and look at me, and climb back up and continue the scream.

Flock calling does happen and that is fine with me. I am talking about loud, repetitive screaming.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Mizzely this is the 3rd time I've read those. I thought I had implemented them all. -- maybe not. I do have questions....

First understand I am NOT rehoming, that is not an option as we are going to stay in our house and remodel instead of moving. And the screaming is no longer an all day event. It is some better.

Do you only feed once a day? And that includes your chop?

How to get them to visit the up-high toy rack? I installed a long board hanging from the ceiling and hung toys and a piece of wacky wood for a swing on it. No one will touch it. It has been there long enough, it shouldn't be a monster any more. I put millet up there but it got knocked down (in flight, not by a curious birdie). I can't reach it even standing on the ladder, so I can't act like it is fun or exciting. :D

You let them have free run of the house? What about the cats? I have a dog, if a bird flies out of the bird room she's going to chase/attack it. This really limits them to one room. Unless I crate her and bring them out, or crate her and take them on the lanai which I often do. [but not the tiels, since they no longer willingly come out of the bird room]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No, they get chop in the morning when they are most likely to be hungry, and then they get their "favorites" - pellets and nutriberries etc during nap time (around noon to 2).

To get them where I want them to go, I use foraging toys and only fill them when I need them quietest - again, nap time. No free seed in the bowls except 1 nutriberry each. You could also try to attach bowls to it somehow? Have you tried to connect the hanging gym to an area that they can just climb to it from? Make a "highway" is how I do it. I also put toys I know are hard for them to resist up there - for Jingo, leather, for Bobber, pine. For the foraging toys, first get them used to the idea but using them in their cages or in a place they do like them, and then once they are using them, slowly move them a foot closer to the hanging area every few days or so until it has migrated all the way to where you want them to go. You can also try to change the "type" of perches you are using. Jingo will barely use the pine perch I made, but when I hung a rope swing by it, suddenly it was the place to be!

Right now they have free run of the entire basement. The cats aren't allowed down there. But when we move in a couple weeks to a single floor home, we will go back to what we were doing - cats locked in bedroom while birds are awake and out of the cage, and then no access to cages for cats when the birds are locked up for the night and sleeping. We have also done the bird room idea, and then we just rotated out between access to whole house and locked in room for safety.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
HAH now they are only 50 min from lights out and I have lots of ideas. I can make a highway with a ladder (birdie, not the one I use) and also a rope net I made awhile back. And maybe swap the basketball thing for this bigger playground that has 2 levels...that should do it.

I started out with the foraging toys, but no one went for it so I quit. I have that rectangular blue plastic thing that hangs on the cage and I used tissue boxes and filled them with all of Spirit's favorites -- and she won't go near them! Also put a bowl of food on my table in there, and the only one that eats from it is Rio. Next option is a plastic box I can cram with toys and foods.

Guess I will go back to the dog crate idea. I try to choose times of day when Cricket is going to nap anyway, and put her in there. she likes her crate so she doesn't even cry, unless we forget about her.

I did discover today that they scream only when *I* leave the room. Not hubby. He's the one they like better though. [Hehe, as an aside, today Rio was regurgitating for me but then hubby came in so he made a beeline for hubby. I said "He likes you but HE LOVES ME."]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried easier foraging toys? Sometimes they are super lazy :lol: This one is popular here because they can see through it from afar Intro to Foraging

Or even one of those millet holders? Millet Holder bird toy

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK that's a good idea. I have some of the munchie cups and also those natural pod things. So I could make them something similar (sorry!).

Hubby said they wanted him to pet them, which all I got from Spirit was squeals today. So maybe he should introduce the foraging items.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
OK that's a good idea. I have some of the munchie cups and also those natural pod things. So I could make them something similar (sorry!).

Hubby said they wanted him to pet them, which all I got from Spirit was squeals today. So maybe he should introduce the foraging items.

Don't be sorry! I was using it as an example and I had that handy! ;)

Yes have Hubby try!