• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crop Stasis in Baby Tiel

nomadsland

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Bradley
My baby tiel is 4 weeks old and suffering from crop stasis. He sees the vet everyday to get the old food removed and the crop flushed. Luckily she's not charging (although when this is over I'm definitely gonna give her something for all the trouble).

For the last four days (at least) his crop has not been empty in the morning. We've been flushing the crop, I give him apple sauce to help with digestion and made him a crop bra (although I'm not sure if the crops overstretched, just being cautious). I feed him small amounts more frequently to make sure his digestive system isn't overloaded. I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and how long the slow crop took to resolve itself. I make sure he's kept warm and the food temperature is warm. I've tried everything and am in despair over my poor baby. Never had this problem with my baby lovebirds, but this is the second tiel I've had problems with. The first didn't make it :(

Last edited:

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What is the temperature of the formula, what is the temperature of the enclosure? How often are you feeding and how much exactly each time?

nomadsland

Real Name
Bradley
I don't have a thermometer, I test by feel and the formula with my mouth. I know I must really invest in them, I won't get any more chicks until I get that gear but don't have the money at the moment. My lovebirds were fine with the temps. The formula is always plenty warm but not too hot. His enclosure is kept very warm, I know its supposed to be about 30C. I've adjusted the heat lamp a couple of times to see where he gets hot and where he gets cold. It's so warm it dries up his little poops but he hangs out under the lamp so he seems to like it. I used to feed him about 6ml four to five times a day. The vet said I must feed him a lot less. I'm giving him 2 to 3ml every two to three hours, which I think is a bit low but he seems to be doing okay and that's what the vet instructed.

Last edited:

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Well there are some of your problems there. You must have an accurate temperature of the formula and it must be between 105-107 F / 40.5-41.5 C. A heat lamp is also insufficient to regulate temperature , your heat source needs to be from the bottom and even. Heating pads work well - underneath the container and then a layer of large pine shavings, or wood pellets, or even cloth inside. Nothing small enough for the baby to accidentally mistake for food and ingest as it gets a bit older. The amount of formula is good for the spacing you're feeding. As you notice the crop emptying on its own, you can increase food and spacing. You also need to weigh him multiple times a day at the same time of day to chart growth. Do not give additives like apple sauce, there is no benefit.

nomadsland

Real Name
Bradley
Thanks I actually bought a heating pad but couldn't figure out how to set it up (it's a wierd DIY one), I will go to the hardware store and ask for help getting it set up. It only goes up to 30 degrees I hope that is enough, otherwise I can get a hotter one (I mean it must lose heat going through all those layers. A lamp is really not enough? Okay I'm gonna look to see if I can find a decent thermometer too.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The temp of the formula is most often the cause. It should feel quite hot to you, but not scalding. It is tricky! So a candy thermometer or meat thermometer is best.

Joseph012

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
No a lamp is not enough. When the container is covered with a thick towel (all but perhaps 1-2in) the heating pad works well. Heat is trapped and creates an even temperature and humidity level that aids in crop movement.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are using a heating pad only put it under about 1/2 of the brooder. If your baby gets too warm he can move to the side that does not have the heating pad underneath it. Hope that the crop issue will be resolved. How are his droppings and is there any sour odor coming from his mouth?

nomadsland

Real Name
Bradley
He is pooping like a champion. A little small sometimes but its definitely moving. Vet says he has a yeast infection although he's been on meds for that for the last four days. I don't know if its a symptom or a cause.

Last edited:

nomadsland

Real Name
Bradley
Daddy went and splurged on his little tiel. She's got a heating pad, incubator thermometer and thermometer for her food.
Using a baby thermometer (for checking baby humans temperatures) at the moment I'm not sure if its accurate because its not meant for food. I'm ordering a confectionary thermometer online tomorrow couldn't find one in my town (that's Africa for you).
As far as I can tell, with my new tools, the temperatures have been okay for the last couple of days.

Last edited:

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I find laser thermometers very handy for all my animals. They have a bit of a learning curve - they measure the temp within a circle on the surface of the object, and you need to look at the mfr. instructions to determine how far away you can hold the gun to get an accurate measurement. I usually take several, esp. with the fish water, but the readings are instantaneous, and given in digital form, which is a huge advantage.