• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Psittacosis help.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
At the place that we were keeping Sunny until he comes home, one bird has been diagnosed with psittacosis. This bird was never exposed to my cockatiel, and my cockatiel was not even there while the psittacosis bird was there. We're concerned about bringing him home, however. Even though Sunny was never exposed to the bird, he might of picked it up somewhere. How dangerous is it to a cockatiel, and will it hurt me or my family?
The people took them all to the vet, and the vet said Sunny was fine. I plan on taking him to the vet again, but what do all of you think?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
You should have your bird tested. Psittacosis is a zoonotic disease, but it is generally something that an immunocompromised person would pick up, not someone with a normal immune system. It is deeply concerning that a bird was in that place that tested positive. You can't always tell just from a physical exam if a bird has been exposed or if there is an active infection, you need to have a send out test done. There is a blood test and also a swab. In this instance I would recommend the blood test because it can help determine between exposure and an active infection. If it's negative then it's negative.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
You should have your bird tested. Psittacosis is a zoonotic disease, but it is generally something that an immunocompromised person would pick up, not someone with a normal immune system. It is deeply concerning that a bird was in that place that tested positive. You can't always tell just from a physical exam if a bird has been exposed or if there is an active infection, you need to have a send out test done. There is a blood test and also a swab. In this instance I would recommend the blood test because it can help determine between exposure and an active infection. If it's negative then it's negative.
Should the bird stay overnight at the vet until we're sure?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Should the bird stay overnight at the vet until we're sure?
Well that depends. Has the bird already been in your home? You can also have the vet run the test and start antibiotics until you get the results and go from there

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Well that depends. Has the bird already been in your home? You can also have the vet run the test and start antibiotics until you get the results and go from there
The general course for treating it is not very nice, though, and has potential for some pretty nasty side effects. Surely it would be better to wait for the results until they start treatment?

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
I have a feeling I know what place you're talking about and they feel really bad. The sick bird's mate who shared the cage tested negative so maybe there's hope no other birds caught it? They are closing temporarily to make sure everything is safe.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's also possible that the bird who tested positive is a carrier and doesn't have an active infection. It's not clear from the OP if the bird in question was showing symptoms or not.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It's also possible that the bird who tested positive is a carrier and doesn't have an active infection. It's not clear from the OP if the bird in question was showing symptoms or not.
My understanding is that the bird is not showing symptoms.

If the vet has an isolation ward then it would make sense to keep them at the vet. If that isn't possible but you're worried about exposure that's why I suggested starting treatment while you wait for the results. As far as I know the recommended treatment is still doxycycline and patients haven't had difficulties with it that I have seen.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My understanding is that the bird is not showing symptoms.

If the vet has an isolation ward then it would make sense to keep them at the vet. If that isn't possible but you're worried about exposure that's why I suggested starting treatment while you wait for the results. As far as I know the recommended treatment is still doxycycline and patients haven't had difficulties with it that I have seen.
I meant symptoms of the bird that tested positive.

The treatment is usually intramuscular injections of doxy once a week for six weeks, generally by a vet or tech, which means 6 trips to the vet. The potential for side effects for this medication by this method are not something you would risk on an off chance that you might have an infection. My two both spent the proceeding few hours after each injection completely out of it from that plus metacam for the pain, and we're both shaking a lot. Both also had bruising and tenderness for a while after. This was relayed to me by the vet as the best case scenario, and it is certainly a minor discomfort when compared to actually having an infection. Still, it's a decent amount of trauma to be putting a bird through for what could very easily be nothing. The tests don't that long to process, and if the bird is not showing symptoms, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't just get tested again and wait for the results before deciding whether or not to treat.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
We generally prescribe it orally, not as an injectable. We've had a couple cases over the past year and have never done injections.

I am in agreement with you in regards to treatment. The OP is concerned about the bird being in their house, and certainly staying at the vet during this time if there are kids or an immunocompromised person in the house would be a good idea. However, if this is not possible, what I am saying is that to help alleviate the worry if the bird has to stay in their house the course could be started.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
We generally prescribe it orally, not as an injectable. We've had a couple cases over the past year and have never done injections.

I am in agreement with you in regards to treatment. The OP is concerned about the bird being in their house, and certainly staying at the vet during this time if there are kids or an immunocompromised person in the house would be a good idea. However, if this is not possible, what I am saying is that to help alleviate the worry if the bird has to stay in their house the course could be started.
Interesting. Vets here seem to prefer injections, I suppose to make sure they are getting the correct dosage over the correct timeframe given the potential seriousness of the disease. I concede your point though, particularly if there are immunocompromised persons living there, or young children.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
I have a feeling I know what place you're talking about and they feel really bad. The sick bird's mate who shared the cage tested negative so maybe there's hope no other birds caught it? They are closing temporarily to make sure everything is safe.
Yeah... Wings of the World. I honestly don't think Sunny got sick, and he's never been in my house.