• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I add another budgie?

AmandaFitz

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Fitzgerald
I am in a bit of a predicament. I currently have two budgies, Luna (a female) and Indigo (a male). Indigo just went through his first molt and I believe Luna is around six months old. They are very happy, active, noisy and playful. They seem to be very fond of one another, consistently feeding and grooming one another. There is a budgie at my local pet store that I am in love with. She is a female, and I am very concerned that if I do get her, she and Luna will fight. That being said, I would also be willing to take home another male along with her to avoid conflict. Any thoughts on what I should do?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've never had budgies but I've read that they do better in even numbers- so there isn't one let out so to speak.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I hopped on in, sorry! LOL, I have three budgies in one cage and wondered the same thing. If they leave one out etc.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If you get two pairs, you have to be prepared to cage them separately, they may or may not get along if all together in a larger cage.
Generally it's better to have 1-2 birds, or a small flock (6+) together - with 3 or 4 there's a good chance of one being left out and picked on, while in a larger group it's harder for them to focus on one individual.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
i agree with karen256, I've heard that sometimes one gets picked on or left out, although when i got three ( 2 female, 1 male/ 3 male -- kinda struggled with the sex's of the birds) they didn't fight and were actually all really friends. it seemed, though, that atlas (the first bird we had) evened it out in a way- she'd go from bird to the other brid, including them and encouraging them to join in...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Three is not a good number when it comes to birds. You say your pair is content. Why change that? I advise you not to look at birds for sale in pet stores. They are there so a person will "fall in love" and give the store money.