• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need for a bigger cage.

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
So, when we bought our conure, it was at an expo and I decided on a small cage that would be ok for a few days before we ordered a bigger cage that I had picked out. (a cage would not have fit into our car if we bought on at the expo) But now, I have gotten enough birthday money to be able to buy the cage myself, but my dad refuses to allow me because he insists that the cage is fine. I tried to convince him by saying how extremely conures are, but he won't buy in. I won't put the measurements for the current cage (think slightly under bare minimum). Simply put, how can I convince my dad that I NEED to buy this new and much larger cage?

Thanks

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
If you want a happy, healthy, well adjusted bird you need a proper cage. How big is the cage he is in right now? Conures are very active little guys and need more room than you would think. They also need a lot of toys to occupy themselves. If you have him in a cage like these you are going to have a very unhappy bird besides not being in an environment where the little guy can thrive mentally, emotionally and physically.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If you have one of those wire cages, tell him that a nice, larger, powder-coated cage will pay for itself just in time saved cleaning (they really are easier to clean). The cage will look nicer and last a lifetime; a wire cage will generally start to rust and look worn in a few years. And a nicer cage is not that expensive; a flight cage is a good size and pretty inexpensive. Also point out that while a GCC is small, they have a 16-18" wingspan and need some room to flap their wings without hitting toys or perches.

Also, tell him the cage you have now won't go to waste. It will be perfect for travel and for taking him out to get some sun.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Did you get the new cage?

I had my parrotlet in a smaller cage, 18X18X30. Because he was out most of the day, I thought this was fine. Recently I moved him to a flight cage, 36" tall. He LOVES it. He'd rather be in it than out. And he uses every inch of it. You can tell your dad that if it helps.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Tell him that a bird with a larger cage tends to not scream as much, so you're just preventing future issues.

And then say "it's my money, and you might not agree with how I use it, and that's okay. If it ends up being mistakes, then that's a lesson I'm willing to learn. "

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Did you get the new cage?

I had my parrotlet in a smaller cage, 18X18X30. Because he was out most of the day, I thought this was fine. Recently I moved him to a flight cage, 36" tall. He LOVES it. He'd rather be in it than out. And he uses every inch of it. You can tell your dad that if it helps.
Would you mind linking me to your cage? My parents came up with a bunch of dumb excuses such as "too big", "won't be easier to clean" and "the current one is fine" (along with other even dumber ones) and I honestly just don't know what to do about it but I need something soon because I would rather just have my bird be adopted by someone who can provide correctly for him than have him be unhappy his whole life, or until I moved out, which would be a long time. (cage I plan to purchase is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FRQIR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-8ZOzb30C295X)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@alocia That's a nice cage! I have it for my parrot. Here is the one Skittles is in. Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

They are wrong on at least 2 counts. 1. It isn't too big and 2. The bigger cages are easier to clean, IMO. I won't even mention how many cages I own! :roflmao:

I don't think you have to give up your bird though. I just think your parents need to be educated. Can you send them to a thread or two on this forum? Maybe just send by email and let them read it as they come across it -- so they can think about it without you right there. Also, you can have your bird out of the cage a lot, or with the door open so he can get exercise. Or, you could have one of us explain it to them via email. @Mizzely might be a good choice, or @JLcribber .

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Do you have a grandparent or other relative that would be willing to buy it for you? I know my friend has a bearded dragon and as he grew he needed a larger cage but her parents said no. Luckily her Grandma bought it for her.
Just an idea :)

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Tell your parents that this is a flighted animal that should not be cooped up in a small cage. Also, an investment in a cage will save vet bills later from problems like plucking (from boredom and confinement), bumblefoot, weakened legs and wings. If you are in AZ, I can give you a cage. Otherwise, I recommend this cage. It'll last a very long time!

This is my favorite:
HQ Aviary Flight Cage with Stand in Beige | Petco

The Prevue F040 or F050 are also very good!

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Do you have a grandparent or other relative that would be willing to buy it for you? I know my friend has a bearded dragon and as he grew he needed a larger cage but her parents said no. Luckily her Grandma bought it for her.
Just an idea :)
I actually do, but I am very afraid that my parents would get even madder knowing i asked them to buy it.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Honestly, I would just say go ahead and buy the cage. It's your money. And this is for your bird. This bird is your responsibility, and just because your parents are ignorant does not mean you shouldn't take action.

If you don't mind my asking, where in your home is the bird located? If he is in your own room, then the cage size isn't even going to affect your parents!

Pardon my lack of a filter, but your parents sound like hover copters who can't stand the idea of their 'baby' making mature, independent decisions. But that is their problem. It shouldn't have to be your problem.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Anyone you can "trade" cages with. Tell your parents the friend needed the other cage for emergency sleep quarters? What would happen should the bottom drop off and break while cleaning?

alocia

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
alicia
Honestly, I would just say go ahead and buy the cage. It's your money. And this is for your bird. This bird is your responsibility, and just because your parents are ignorant does not mean you shouldn't take action.

If you don't mind my asking, where in your home is the bird located? If he is in your own room, then the cage size isn't even going to affect your parents!

Pardon my lack of a filter, but your parents sound like hover copters who can't stand the idea of their 'baby' making mature, independent decisions. But that is their problem. It shouldn't have to be your problem.
I asked my dad again, and he agreed but told me to promise to keep my room clean for a bit, which won't be too hard. Now to convince my mother. Ironically, she agreed way before we even got Kai. Welp, at least there's been an improvement.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That's awesome! :fairy2:

Keeping your room clean boils down to habits, mostly 'cleaning up after yourself.' Meaning every time you do something, clean to completion (clothes into hamper, makeup back into drawer, coloring tools back in the bin...). Im still working on that myself. Hubby and I say neither of us knows how to put away our toys. :D

Whoops I am sounding like a parent!

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I personally would just buy it as it is your money and they'd get over it where as the psychological damage to the bird in a tiny cage long term won't be so easy to get over!