• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

FYI Food Allergy

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
I posted a couple weeks back about my BH Pi, 14 yr old female suddenly yanking out feathers right and left. I took her to vet and everything was negative, blood and skin culture. We guessed that it might be related to the new food I gave her a few days prior to this- Zupreem Pure Fun. Vet said it could take up to 3 weeks to vacate her system. It got worse before it got better, but she has stopped with the plucking and new feathers are starting to grow in undisturbed. I am relieved.

Just wanted to share in case this ever happens to any of you. I am not saying the food is bad, just that apparently there was something in there that she had an allergic reaction to.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I posted a couple weeks back about my BH Pi, 14 yr old female suddenly yanking out feathers right and left. I took her to vet and everything was negative, blood and skin culture. We guessed that it might be related to the new food I gave her a few days prior to this- Zupreem Pure Fun. Vet said it could take up to 3 weeks to vacate her system. It got worse before it got better, but she has stopped with the plucking and new feathers are starting to grow in undisturbed. I am relieved.

Just wanted to share in case this ever happens to any of you. I am not saying the food is bad, just that apparently there was something in there that she had an allergic reaction to.
Thank you for sharing your info. As parronts we never know what can or will throw our fids off kilter and cause health problems.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you for sharing your experience.
Hope your bird has been well.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes and the same happened as I told you with my Brown headed.
I'm glad that I was right and that it was an allergic reaction. For me that would have been like winning the lottery.
And now you know that she is sensitive/allergic I would have been very careful to giving her colored pellets.
You do have Harrisons, a much better pellets that are organic, no added sugar, and no color.