• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need some Lori advice

jlynn

Meeting neighbors
i am not new to parrots but I am new to Lorikeets. I have had my beautiful boy for about two weeks now and I have some concerns.

My major concern is food. He will only eat fruit and is picky about what kind. So far apples are the go to fruit. He also eats orange, watermelon, sweet corn. I have tried grapes, blackberries, strawberries, honeydew, nectarine, mango - he won't eat them.

In addition, he will not eat nectar. I have Roudybush. He won't eat it dry or mixed.

He also won't eat the Pretty Bird lory pellets that he was reportedly eating for the breeder. I have tried moistening them and dry. Nope! He won't touch them.

I am at a loss and worry that he isn't getting the nutrition he needs.

My other more minor concern is that he is very beaky and likes to bite fingers and sometimes even my face/neck. He loves to cuddle and get close but almost always "bites" when doing so. Any tips to curb this behavior? Or is this just something lories do?

Thanks in advance for any help!

*just a note, he has been to the vet and all tests were negative.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
A Belated welcome!
I do not have any experience with lories but hopefully someone will respond soon.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi there, how old is your lorikeet, have you had it DNA sexed and what tests did you have done?

jlynn

Meeting neighbors
Hello. He is 4 months old now. He was DNA sexed. I will have to look to see what tests were done but I agreed to all the tests my avian vet recommended. I will get back with the answer. He seems to be growing even pickier with time. I don't know what to do or if I am doing something wrong. He seems to only eat apples and corn so that is what I give him to ensure he eats. And even though he eats on his own he does still do the baby cry at times.

Mingo

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello...I have a rainbow lorikeet named Frooty. I feed him Goldenfeast Nectorgold Complete. He loves it. I mix it up with fruit juice and give him some in the morning and again in the early evening. ( I like to use the odwalla pure fruit juices. There is a mixed berry and a mango that are all juice) Since yours like apples try mixing it with apple juice. I don't give him any dry food at all. Some fresh things to try that my little one loves...small yellow mangos, banana, cucumber (the inner seed part), apples, yellow pears, corn, peas, winter squash, steamed carrots. I picked up some organic applesauce with berries at trader joes and it is a favorite. They lick up the liquids so I need to really mince foods, or smash them up for him. I also found Frooty like his fruit ripe (except apples) ...sweeter and softer. I hope this is some help to you. It is so much fun to own a Lorikeet :) They are so smart and such little clowns.

Axie & Frankie

Moving in
:bp2:chc::chc::chc:Hi and welcome! I am sort of new to the Lorikeat thing too but I may be able to help. I have a Swaison's Blue Mountain lorikeet and I am currently feeding her Rainbow Landing lorikeet nectar. She loves it! I am trying to mix (and slowly switch to) Necton-Lori (recommended by breeder). Here's a tip: try feeding him the nectar from a syringe. That's what the breeder told me (if I was in your situation). Every bird is different, though. Yours may just be getting used to its environment. How long have you had him?

Axie & Frankie

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I feed Wombaroo Lorikeet & Honeyeater and luckily, my greedy little beasts lap it down. I like the idea of trying to spoon feed it to him. Have a separate spoon for you and eat some (or pretend to eat some) yourself, making a big fuss about how delicious it is.

jangsan

Moving in
I'm new to Lori parenting (he's a juvenile - 4 months, I've had him for a week), but mine eats Wombaroo Lorikeet & Honeyeater (mixed with water as per box directions and fed from a little bowl when he's on my hand and a feeder tube in his enclosure - he eats most of it first thing in the morning, eats whatever is in his feeder during the day, and has just a little bit fed by hand after I get home in the evening). He loves apple and banana - I've found he likes apple very thinly sliced in a bowl in his enclosure and overripe banana when I peel the banana little by little, holding the banana and he'll sit on my hand eating it.

Also get some native flowers, like bottle brush. He makes a big mess with apple and flowers, but it seems to make him happy.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How is he going now? Do you have access to other brands of nectar at all??

Are you able to get hold of some of the Aussie native plants such as grevillea and bottlebrush or are they an issue in your are if you don't live in Aus?

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
my mum gives me Golden Lori for breakfast and Best bird for dinner. at dinner time she sings "best bird best bird for the best bird in the whole wide world best bird best bird for the best bird in the world". she also sings when she gives me my arthritis medicine "a little bit of ice cream makes the medicine go down the medicine go down the medicine go down yes a little bit of ice cream makes the medicine go down in a most delightful way" (the Mary Poppins tune). mum watches carefully how much I do or don't eat and sometimes I eat a little bit more to make her happier. I'm very fussy about what I like to eat, I nibble on vegetarian edam cheese, sometimes i'll chew or lick tomato, I like some bread sometimes but mostly I like to rip the bread into tiny pieces and scatter them all over the floor. I really LOVE dates and the date drink mum makes and honey water and maple syrup. knowing mum cares about how much I eat and worries about me if she thinks I'm not eating enough helps me want to eat to please her. mum is always telling me how much she loves me