• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Out of the brooder and weaning?

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
At what age is it safe to move baby Quaker parrots out of the brooder and how fast? My next question would be weaning. What foods do I start offering them? I have offered one of them millet and he seems to just try and stick the hole thing in his mouth.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Who's tutorship are you following to teach you how to breed? What does your mentor have to say?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no experience with Quakers but for weaning food you can use Cheerios, pellets, fresh veggies,fruit as well as the millet. The Cheerios are easy to pick up. I used those with my red-bellies as well as the other mentioned foods and a quality seed mix. I wouldn't move them out of the brooder if they have just started weaning. How old are they? Maybe someone who has experience with Quakers will come along and respond to you.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
How old are they?
I don't know anything about quakers specifically, but would guess based on their size that the weaning process might begin around 8 or 9 weeks, though it would take at least several more weeks for them to fully wean, and then you would want to keep them for another week after to make them less likely to regress in a new home.
There is no harm in offering them foods to play with even before they are ready to wean, but only offer foods that are 100% edible. They are like human toddlers and will just try to swallow anything. Millet is a great weaning food once they are old enough to figure out how to shell the seeds, and it sounds like they aren't there yet.
Also how much time they spend out of the brooder depends on their age and the house temperature. If they are mostly feathered, then they should be OK at normal to warmer room temperatures, as long as they have a spot where they can snuggle in and be warm at night (or if you return them to the brooder at night. But if they are used to being in a heated brooder, you need to let them adjust to room temperature gradually over a few days.. lowering the brooder temperature and taking them out playtime outside the brooder more often.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
Who's tutorship are you following to teach you how to breed? What does your mentor have to say?
I am not a breeder. my mentor throughout this little bump has been an amazing lady on this site and the internet and books and I am not sure how to private message through this site.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
I have no experience with Quakers but for weaning food you can use Cheerios, pellets, fresh veggies,fruit as well as the millet. The Cheerios are easy to pick up. I used those with my red-bellies as well as the other mentioned foods and a quality seed mix. I wouldn't move them out of the brooder if they have just started weaning. How old are they? Maybe someone who has experience with Quakers will come along and respond to you.
5/6 weeks. They are very interested in sticking stuff in their mouths so I did give them cherios and they stick them in their mouth and walk around and I just want to introduce them to things but I read to give them food instead of toys while they are young.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
How old are they?
I don't know anything about quakers specifically, but would guess based on their size that the weaning process might begin around 8 or 9 weeks, though it would take at least several more weeks for them to fully wean, and then you would want to keep them for another week after to make them less likely to regress in a new home.
There is no harm in offering them foods to play with even before they are ready to wean, but only offer foods that are 100% edible. They are like human toddlers and will just try to swallow anything. Millet is a great weaning food once they are old enough to figure out how to shell the seeds, and it sounds like they aren't there yet.
Also how much time they spend out of the brooder depends on their age and the house temperature. If they are mostly feathered, then they should be OK at normal to warmer room temperatures, as long as they have a spot where they can snuggle in and be warm at night (or if you return them to the brooder at night. But if they are used to being in a heated brooder, you need to let them adjust to room temperature gradually over a few days.. lowering the brooder temperature and taking them out playtime outside the brooder more often.
Thank you for responding. One is 5 and the other is 6 weeks. What other food besides cheerios can I give them to play with that will be safe? He is trying to stick his mouth around the carpet.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh, they are cute!
I think they are a little too young to really start weaning.
Cheerios are great to offer, you can try pellets as well, or some bits of diced fruits or soft veggies.
When they are a little older you can start offering them warm, soft foods such as oatmeal, mashed sweet potato or baby food veggies, soaked pellets, ect. But right now.. they are probably too young to eat it and will just end up walking through it and making a mess.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
Oh, they are cute!
I think they are a little too young to really start weaning.
Cheerios are great to offer, you can try pellets as well, or some bits of diced fruits or soft veggies.
When they are a little older you can start offering them warm, soft foods such as oatmeal, mashed sweet potato or baby food veggies, soaked pellets, ect. But right now.. they are probably too young to eat it and will just end up walking through it and making a mess.
Thank you! They were a lot of work! What about for exploring? Do you think I should try toys?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I totally forgot to respond to this a while ago. I usually don't move babies into a cage until their first flight. I know plenty of people move them to a cage sooner but I usually make it a gradual change. Once they start flying they spend the day in the cage and the first couple of nights in the brooder. I also make sure about half of the cage is covered with a towel to prevent drafts and give them a place to hide. I usually start introducing real food by sprinkling some parakeet or cockatiel sized pellets and sprouted seeds around the bottom of the brooder. They crumble it up and carry it around without really eating it for a couple weeks or more. A few days or a week after they start flying, you'll notice that they actually start ingesting their adult food more often. Expect them to be hit and miss about taking formula during this time. They go through a weight loss stage prior to flying where they just let formula dribble in a river down their chest. If they are being difficult to feed and making a huge mess, I usually consider that refusal of formula and put them back in the brooder a little hungry with the sprouts, pellets and some warm soft veggies to pick at. I also do a lot of cooked sweet potato since other things can be ground up and added to it to make a mash. As they start flying, you'll notice on any given day they may refuse a feeding or be desperate for that feeding.
The biggest mistake I made weaning my first batch of quakers was that I was so concerned about their weight because they were a little low to start with that I sweet talked them into taking formula when they really didn't want it. This delayed their normal pre-flight weight loss and decreased their appetite and motivation to eat on their own. It totally messed up their weaning and I ended up having to almost force wean them much later. Pay attention to the baby's signals. If its not that interested in food, don't push it, put it back in the brooder with some adult food to eat and try again in a few hours. If they are being really picky about formula, I usually consider it doing okay to get one or two good meals into them at about that age. The rest of the feedings might just be a cc here and there. Its fairly normal for babies to lose between 8% and 20% of their weight getting ready for their first flight and shortly after. How much they lose depends on how fat they were to start with and how picky they get. If they have over a 10% weight loss, I start taking the time to persuade them to eat a little more formula, or add another feeding even if they are only willing to take a little bit but I don't make myself crazy over it unless there are other symptoms of possible illness. It seems to be a natural process.

Learning89

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! Should I be worried about them choking on the pellets? They keep trying to stick everything in their mouth I'm just not quite sure what the "safe" foods are. They broke open a cheerio the other day and they are picking the millet apart but when I put some pellets out he stuck it in his mouth right away so I took it back. Thank you again!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually consider pellets one of the safer things they could swallow. If they swallow one whole, it just turns to mush and is digested. If they swallow a sunflower seed whole it can block their digestive tract and be a major problem. Plus, birds that are started on pellets and veggies are easy to keep eating a good diet. Those started on seed can become difficult to convert to pellets and veggies later.