• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Daily foraging routines

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
gonzo is very energetic so I've been trying to think of ways to get him occupied with foraging. Could you guys post what kinds are your birds faborites and what you give them daily? Gonzo loves his treasure chest which he gets some treats in once or twice a day. He also loves most of the other ones like the foraging wheel and caitec toys. but he figures hem out so fast that it gets boring easily. I would love to see the different kinds of foraging your birds do!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I have 4 bowls which I rotate around the cage and also change the locations of them. He forages for his pellets which are underneath chewing and shredding toys. Occasionally there will be treats in them.
Also have skewers. I will stuff things into other things or a squeeze treat in a vine thing and hang it on a skewer.
He also has a pvc foraging toy (from A Bird Toy). I stuff a treat and stuff he can take apart in there. Sometimes hiding a treat in a little paper cup and hiding it inside the toy.
Finally, he has a little wooden lidded bowl on a chain from Calif. Bird Nerds.
(Located at the very bottom of the 3rd photo) The lid fits snuggly so he has to work to get it open. He will chew on the wood as well.
All this gets changed out and rotated...and I am always thinking of new ways to make him a hard working bird.
I stay up nights thinking of ideas.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow! I need to step it up! :wideyed: Thanks for the ideas and inspiration. :dance4:

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
My conure loves a piece of newspaper wrapped around her bowl. Just tie some seagrass rope or safe string around the bowl so the paper is secure and poke a few holes in the top of the paper! The more layers the harder it is!

The foraging basket is also a hit for my GCC. The Toys on the side keep her busy too!
IMG_4238.JPG

Darn photo is sideway... Sorry!:bash:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I started doing that when Joey's aggressive hormonal behavior and cage aggression bloomed. the vet recommend a video "Captive Foraging".
It really help to lessing Joey's aggression, he is too busy foraging all over the cage....

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Love it! I will check it out.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
These are some great ideas. When setting up my cage for my new birds I placed most everything kind of high up because I noticed that is where they like to hang out. However, now that I have had them for a couple of weeks I notice they are spending more and more time bouncing around the lower part of the cage. So I was trying to think what I might put in the lower part of the cage..........and I think I'm going to put together a foraging box for them. Something like Shawna and Kennedy have. Maybe throw some seed down in there. I'm going to get to work on that.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Lovebirdlover
Did you make the basket? Love all the little wooden buttons and beads on it.

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
do you put all their food in foraging toys? or do you also put some food in the bowls?

Lovebirdlover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
I put both! She likes to throw all the toys to the bottom before she reaches the treats

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My baby, Chirp, feeds freely during the day on his own special mix (either dry or made into mash, depending on the day) but he has lots of foraging opportunities! He has a little set of 2 drawers that I put millet in. He loves them, but if he opens them and there's nothing in there, he'll just push and pull them in and out, again and again, to let me know he wants his snacks! I tuck bits of millet into various toys, especially ones with cupcake liners! I also tuck oat sprays in various spots around the cage, Chirp loves those!

For out of the cage, Chirp has recently started running around on the rug under and around his cage, looking for anything I may have dropped (or that he may have flung onto the floor). Even though I vacuum regularly, I don't want him to get anything that might be on the rug. So, I put down 2 towels on top of the rug, covering the whole thing, and I put little bits of millet around! He loves to run around and find treats! I also have a little plastic lunch tray (I think it was 4 dollars from MYOBT) that I put on the floor, where I put treats sometimes!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
(or that he may have flung onto the floor)
This is more likely, I think. At least in our house! :marievacuums: Those almond shells make stepping on a lego feel like a walk in the park! :jawdrop1: