• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

introduction advice

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
So we finally got our baby! We just received the all clear from the vet to introduce the baby to Kate. All of the fids have already seen her from the doorway, but none have properly met her yet. Lily( sun conure) and Sam (gcc) are uninterested. Given Lily's aggression to Kate, i don't think I'll be introducing them properly anytime soon.
Kate is very interested. I wanted to go slow, assuming that would be better. I think it's starting to frustrate Kate. She's rather desperate to meet the baby properly but I've been reluctant. Even though her eyes aren't pinning and her feathers aren't raised, she just seems too excited. For the baby's part she seems quite calm, like it's totally normal. She eats and drinks with Kate watching her from a distance of 6 feet away.

Do you guys have any advice on how to best do this?

Here's a picture of her on the ride home.
image.jpg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
birds should be safely restrained in an airline approved seat belted cat carrier when driving!
She's very cute!

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish you luck with the introductions.
Your baby is adorable!

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
@ Saroji12
I know. She was making scared baby noises and I shamelessly caved.

FlockofFive

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi! Give Kate lots of love and time to adjust to the presence of your new baby :) She will be less excited with time, I think you are totally right to delay the introduction if Kate has a history of being aggressive. Best of luck and congratulations on the new baby <3

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Adorable! :heart:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
All I can say is be watchful. Slow introductions, always supervised playtime.

Even later watch for strong aggressive tendencies at playtime ( I'm looking at YOU BOO-BOO)

Cha-Cha loves to have breakfast with me at the beach. But car travel makes her sick. A covered cage is best for car travel

Your baby is beautiful

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
They have started to have supervised play dates and those have gone very well. Kate isn't aggressive at all, as long as food isn't involved. The baby follows her around and preens her. It's very cute. I think I'll avoid giving them food when they're playing as Kate is very food aggressive.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Or supply three NEUTRAL food dishes every time they're out together

spoiled for choice. agression vanishes in my gang

SquawkandHowl

Moving in
Real Name
Lily Kunning
I socialized my baby Caique to accept touching at every meal. It lessens the natural food aggression with people and birds if you do. Since I went on later to have a human child, this was a very good thing to do (we still share flock meals).