• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parakeet color change overnight

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
Parakeet color changed overnight the other birds are okay. Tried Googling it to find out, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Do you have a picture prior to the change?

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
It looks to me like she may have rubbed her face on a red toy. The food coloring often used to dye bird toys comes off easily when wet.

The other option is dried blood. I would check her and the other birds for any wounds along with seeing if there's any red color anywhere in the cage.

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
It could be blood because she doesn't have a toy that she usually rubs on. And it is only mostly on one side. I took a couple of more pictures. She is acting her normal self, not sickly or lethargic.

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Offer her a bath and see if it comes off. My budgies loved bathing!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
It's possible that the perch she's sitting on was the culprit. (the beads) If you mix several colors you get "mud" in painting, so it's still possible that it was a wet face and dye from the beads or another toy.

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
I hope it is something simple like that. I will take her out in a little while and check her better. I don't want to cause her any more stress right now.
Thank you for your help.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Well, I will say this; if it were blood, you'd likely see droplets of it on the bottom of the cage or on other things in the cage, judging by how much she has on her face.

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
I did notice a little bit of blood on one of her toys. And just a minute ago she was rubbing her face on her rope swing. I'm thinking that she's trying to clean off her face because she didn't do it in the birdbath earlier.
Thank you everyone for all of your help.

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
Thank you, I'm just relieved she's ok. I think it looked like more blood then what it actually was, since I believe feathers soak up a lot of fluid...

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
awww poor girl. Maybe she had a night fright. Make sure you keep one side of the cage uncovered with enough light (night light - distant hallway light) so the birdie can see where it's flying when it has a nightmare / night scare . If sudden sounds are a concern try "white noise " , like low soothing sounds like the sound of rain, the ocean. The dried blood shouldn't hurt her , I would try misting her in a day or two when shes more healed and calm =) She may have bumped her nose and caused it to bleed during the night . Make sure she is eating her pellets / veges if not give her some soaked millet in pediolyte for some extra nutrients since she is healing!

Last edited: