• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy for the Month of August 2017 - Lwalker's Cricket!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please join the AA staff in congratulating Lwalker's Cricket for being chosen as August 2017's Celebirdy of the Month :dance4:

Here's what Lori had to say:

Thanks so much – Cricket is honoured to be chosen :D. We have snuck Watson in on a couple of answers too as it is hard to talk about one with the other.

1. How did you acquire your bird?
I purchased Cricket from a pet store. All of my other pets had been adopted and I really had no intention of buying a bird (especially from a pet store). Most of my life included birds--two long-lived cockatiels and a childhood budgie. My cockatiel of 17 years had recently died and I was feeling pretty low. I went in just to look at the budgies and there was Cricket, hanging upside down, trying to catch my attention. The person who worked in the store told me that he was very bold and quite nippy. I asked if I could see him out of his cage and Cricket stepped right up on my finger. The staff were surprised. When it was time to put him back he wasn't having it - he ran up and down my arm and held on with all his might until we were down to unhooking one toe and still he seemed to have a steel grip! Of course, he came home with me (and I am happy to report he is not at all nippy).

Cricket.jpg
This is Cricket!

2. What is your bird's name, age and sex?
Cricket is a male Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure. He turned 2 on the 4th of July.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?
He does do “tricks,” but none of them trained. For instance, he likes to flip open the thermostat panel and press all the buttons before closing it up again. It really plays havoc with the house temperature! He also likes to take the top off of boxes and jars so I play a version of the shell game with him.

Cricket2.jpg
"Hmm..its a bit chilly in here - better fix that!"

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?
Cricket loves spaghetti, raspberries, cilantro and almonds. He is a pretty good eater and will try most things.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?
Other than wreaking havoc with my thermostat? When I first brought Watson (my second GCC) home, there was some competition between the two of them for attention. Cricket used to sidle up to Watson, lift one food in front of himself, swivel it to the side and push Watson off of the top of the cage. Poor Watson was never hurt but it looked so funny as they were both facing forward at the time. Although they mostly share nicely, Cricket has also stolen Watson’s Nutri-berry when he drops his own, and run away with it. Sometimes it is like a game of tag between the two of them—stealing and running—back and forth.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?
Cricket has really brought joy to my life. He is very playful and makes me laugh. When Cricket was almost 1, I brought home Watson, a Pineapple Green-cheek Conure and the two of them bonded. They have such different personalities yet they are inseparable. I love to watch them interact and preen one another. It is very touching to see how they care for one another and I find it calming to watch them together during their quiet times. I also like the high energy of their antics when they play. While neither are overly hands-on birds, Cricket divides his time between Watson and me and every night he warms my heart when he flies over to me for a few special cuddles.

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Do not be fooled by the size of a GCC. They are fearless, stubborn, can be quite loud, and they get into everything! They are a lot of work. They need close supervision, a consistent schedule and they can be Velcro-birds. I think that they also need at least four hours a day out-of-cage-time. It can be hard meeting the attention needs of a single bird as they are very social and can become quite dependent. They are very cuddly as babies but can soon grow out of that stage – Cricket is often far too busy being the bold explorer to stand around long for scritches; although he does come to me every night for a good-night cuddle before being tucked up in bed.

Cricket and Watson.jpg
Cricket was not really happy as a single bird but has really flourished since Watson joined the family.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?
Cricket is very active. He is inquisitive and loves to explore. He makes regular laps around the room, flying and following me wherever I go in the house. He cannot resist a shelf or cubby-hole so he requires supervision. He also loves to sit with Watson on his atom in the window. He needs lots of climbing and chewing toys to keep him busy. As for noise, he is mostly quiet. He chirps and purrs and clicks his tongue but first thing in the morning and then again just before bedtime he lets out an ear piercing call that lasts about three minutes. He can be heard on the street outside. He also loves to make himself heard while I am on the phone or when I try to take a bath (because that is the one place he is not invited)!

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?
Unfortunately, Cricket barbers. His breast is often a fluffy grey colour. We can’t narrow down a cause and hope he grows out of it. He likes to sleep hanging off of the side of the cage, all squished up in a corner with Watson so that they look like a ball of eyes, feathers and feet. He also likes to wrestle with Watson and will start by giving Watson an “kick” in the chest and flopping down on his back as if to say “game on!”

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?
Cricket does not talk. Sometimes he sort of mumbles and appears to be practicing, but no words yet.

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?
Definitely clementines but he does not get them often because they get him all hopped up on natural sugar and he runs at double speed causing mischief at every turn!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Congrats Lori

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Love the interview!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Cricket and Watson are both very cute!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:parade: :congrats5:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations. Loved the interview.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! :marlenesmile:
I enjoyed reading every word. And it was several things that I didn't know.
Cricket was not really happy as a single bird but has really flourished since Watson joined the family.
Thank you for being non selfish and listen to your bird. ♥
Definitely clementines but he does not get them often because they get him all hopped up on natural sugar and he runs at double speed causing mischief at every turn!
Please give him clementines and record it! :lol:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
I loved reading all about Cricket. Both him and Watson are so cute!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations! Enjoyed the interview and getting to know your guys some more!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thank you for being non selfish and listen to your bird.
Thanks. I often hear people say that they want to "bond" with their bird. I don't think they understand how overwhelming a true bond can be. I could not meet Cricket's emotional needs 24/7. We were so lucky to find Watson. I do come second for him now but that is okay. I put him first and he is so much happier. And we love Watson!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Thanks so much everyone! I can't begin to tell you how much I value the advice and support of everyone on AA. Not to mention, whenever I am frustrated or down, you all manage to provide a good giggle!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:Congratwav:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:congratsbig: Cricket and Lori! :D

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Thanks. I often hear people say that they want to "bond" with their bird. I don't think they understand how overwhelming a true bond can be. I could not meet Cricket's emotional needs 24/7. We were so lucky to find Watson. I do come second for him now but that is okay. I put him first and he is so much happier. And we love Watson!
Thats the way it should be. I love Dobby but he has chosen my sister and he's a happy camper and that's what really counts. He usually gets to be out once everyone is home and settled for the day and stays out till bedtime. Sounds like you found a good compromise that works for everyone. :xflove:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:heart: congrats!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! I loved learning more about Cricket (and Watson). Such cuties. :)