• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Settling in - Ada day 6

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I admit it, I roll my eyes a bit when people call their pets their children. I love my pets, I go above and beyond for my pets, but I'm no ones mother. I may find it a little twee when people talk about falling in love with their birds. I am not overly precious about a lot of things as a general rule. Selectively sentimental I guess.

But, holy hell. She's got such a little personality! There is a spark and a back and forth with her that I don't know that I've really had with another pet (tho maybe in a way with my old cat who passed). We're less than a week in and I am already just finding myself grateful that they live so long. :D

She's settling into her castle-o-toys pretty well I think. We had our few days of what I think of as "the honeymoon" after reading a lot of posts here. The days where we were the only thing familiar (we'd visited the store A LOT waiting for her to wean) so she was pretty cuddly and intent on being on us. She even flew to my hand from the cage several times if I called her.

She's settling into her cage now and has a little more attitude. She is a little more nippy (we'll work on it) and more content to hang out on her cage and chitter at us or survey the room from her boing.

The plan is to just leave her be for the most part the first couple of weeks. She gets treats (bits of slivered almond seem to be the go to, she likes them as well as sunflower seeds and they are quicker to eat) whenever she comes to visit, and when I'm in her cage morning and night I make her step up from whatever perch she's on and then step back up to some other spot in the cage, for a treat of course, but mostly I leave her to her own devices.

She gets her cage door opened for a couple hours when we get home from work while we work at our computers (her cage is in our office). She's back away for a couple hours while we do other stuff futzing about the house, and then free again for an hour or so before I cover her and go to bed.

Yesterday she made her way over to visit with me on my desk lamp for a while. Sometimes she makes a whole lap of the room, leaping off her cage and flying a big circle before landing back on the cage top or in the door.

3648544532833954101_account_id=1.jpg

I don't really need anything...I just think my partner/friends are tired of hearing me talk about her and you people are crazy too and I wanted to share the joy so far. :D

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Sounds like she is settling in nicely. Be careful not to give her too many sunflower seeds though.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Congrats and welcome to birdy love. I too have a green thing that's wrapped me around her "toe"

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that things are working out. Watch her on the lamp. She might chew on the wires and/or the lamp.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Ada will definitely add a bit of spice(read lots of spice) in your life.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's a cutie. It doesn't take long for them to steal your heart. And follow her lead, she may be ready for more interaction sooner than 2 weeks.