• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Palmer (and a couple questions)

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
Hey everybody! I have a couple question pertaining to the ownership and the bonding of my amazon named Palmer. He is an 18 yr old yellow-headed amazon(?)

I don't have much history, aside from what the woman who had him told me. She told me that "He hasn't had a steady home, and lived most of his life in the pet store. He is a DNA sexed male (according to the pet store. She didn't see any paperwork.)". She bought him off of a woman who had gotten him from the pet store. I don't know how he was treated in the former woman's care, but I know the woman I had bought him off of took really good care of him. You can tell he is a rescue by looking at him, and I also think he didn't have a good diet until he got to the woman's house who fed him zupreem and a healthy balanced diet. I do remember her saying that he was a "Yellow-fronted Amazon", but I can't seem to find anything out about them.

I had got Palmer Saturday of last week, so I have only had him for four whole days. He is still a very quiet birdie, but occasionally makes the 'hiccup' sound (or that's what I call it
). If I leave my room and come back later, I'll catch him trembling until I give him a goody to calm him down. He takes food from my hand very gently, which really surprised me. The only thing that's starting to concern me is the lack of vocalization. He plays with his toys very occasionally; his favorite are the ones he can shred (which is pretty much everything!!)

So I guess my questions are:
  • Is it normal for him to be this quiet after 4 whole days.
  • Is it normal behavior for him to remain on the highest perch only occasionally climbing down to eat. (I like the accessibility of him being on his top perch lol)
I will upload pictures of him if you want. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pictures please. Birds almost always stay on the highest perch in the cage.
Realize that this bird is probably scared to death. He has been carried from pillar to post. Be very patient with him.

Getting him to an avian vet to get him checked out would be a good idea.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Palmer.
As per your questions: yes and yes.
Just be patient with him. He's in a new environment with new people and objects.
Good recommendation by Hankmacaw to take him to vet for a new bird exam.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
congrats!

You're in a "honeymoon" stage with Palmer. Be gentle and patient right now.

It's very normal for them to go as high as possible. I tied a ladder to MC's playstand and the bird went up to the tip top and began chewing the rungs from the top down.

Secret makes a little chirp like sound periodically.

Now that you mention it, I don't think mine were vocal at first either!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
pictures...... YEAH!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's gorgeous!

Remember that natural perches with differing sizes are good for their feet. You may want to put one of those up at the top.

I have a platform perch in Secrets together with natural and the rope perch. Secret hands in the corner of the cage nearest to us.

MC doesn't like the rope, I bought a flat perch that has beads in it for him. For MC he hangs on the two perches on the door of his cage.....tries to get as close as possible to us.

Best of luck to you. It's a forever relationship.

Underscorrr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan
He's gorgeous!

Remember that natural perches with differing sizes are good for their feet. You may want to put one of those up at the top.

I have a platform perch in Secrets together with natural and the rope perch. Secret hands in the corner of the cage nearest to us.

MC doesn't like the rope, I bought a flat perch that has beads in it for him. For MC he hangs on the two perches on the door of his cage.....tries to get as close as possible to us.

Best of luck to you. It's a forever relationship.
Yeah. I'm working on it. I just have so much to do. I am working on getting him to the vet first, then worry about perches ( I am pretty sure they sell perches there), but thank you. He sure is a cutie.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yeah. I'm working on it. I just have so much to do. I am working on getting him to the vet first, then worry about perches ( I am pretty sure they sell perches there), but thank you. He sure is a cutie.
You have your priorities in the right order! Vet is very important.

Wait till you catch a sniff of the contented loving Amazon smell......hooked for life I'm telling you.

Lots of our vendors have perches too. I have some smaller/shorter ones placed around my cages. They're natural branches.

Trust me, you'll always be on the lookout for things for the cage. I just got my order from avian antics yesterday of little wafer blocks that I can load on skewers.

I need a bumper sticker that says "he who dies with the most parrot toys, wins!"

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He is a Double Yellow Headed or Yellow Headed Amazon, so they were right on that. He's beautiful! He probably won't be incredibly vocal right away and is probably a bit nervous. The way to an Amazon's heart is through his stomach!:) Getting him to the vet is probably your best bet to make sure he's healthy and you don't need to worry about anything. Then there's always the toys and the perches and everything else! Welcome to parrot slavedom!:)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Natural wood perches are best for their feet. I think he will be more vocal after a while. He probably is scared of the change that's happened. Take it slow and steady. Let Palmer guide you in your interactions. Go at his pace. He is a beauty. Congratulations, you've come to the right place for advice, help and Amazon kinship.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He has a black beak. I think he's a blue front. And he needs time to settle. You'll know when he's comfortable and ready for a new level of interaction. Congrats!

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Seconding on the Blue-Front identification. Some Blue-Fronts just don't have as much blue as others, but he definitely has a couple speckles of blue on his face.

Best of luck to both of you~

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmmm. I have two blue front amazons. Secret has a lot of blue (see avatar). MC not so much but man......that's a lot of yellow on Palmer.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I really have nothing to add...except...

Welcome to the Avenue, Palmer! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sometimes I hesitate to tell people with new birds what I'm really thinking. I think that maybe they will feel I'm a scare monger, but I'm going to because it's so important for Palmer.

Amazons are prone to being overweight and perch potatoes and that contributes, along with their healthy appetite, to developing problems with their organs especially their liver, kidneys and heart. Just like us people when we are obese and inactive. Fatty liver is very common among Amazons and I believe that one of Clueless' Amazons has a problem with fatty liver. Your bird has been on a bad diet, is 18 years old and is a prime candidate for liver/heart issues. What I'm finally getting around to saying, is make darned sure the vet does and CBC and Chem panel on Palmer and you will know if Palmer is ok or not. Then after you bring him home keep him on a lean (lowfat, low sugar) diet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on getting Palmer!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congrats.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The full panel of bloodwork is important and great to have a base to work off of in the future.

Secret's level was up on something that had to do with the liver so the doctor put the bird on a low fat diet and hepato, a medication. I'm hopeful the bird will be back to normal in 6 months.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There is a range of coloration, as @~Drini~ pointed out. Also, there is a subspecies called the yellow wing (A. aestiva xanthopteryx I think) that has extensive yellow coloring. We'll never know Palmer's genetics, but the yellow is not cause for concern or unusual...very pretty, too.