• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picking up babies on Tuesday........

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
So, I am finally going to pick up my bird babies on Tuesday. I have been tweaking the cage.......rearranging the perches and toys. This weekend I am going to focus on "Food Court" and get familiar with making chop. The babies were weaned onto pellets, seed and sprouts. I don't know that I am going to fool with sprouts in the beginning. I've heard they can grow mold, and I want to learn more about this and make sure I know how long they can keep and how to grow and store them. I think to start with I'll just settle them in with their pellets, seed and start exposing them to some fresh vegetables and a little fruit. The two Lovebirds I am getting have been DNA tested and they are both boys from the same clutch. So I am hoping and praying they get along after puberty. They are best buds right now while at the breeders. I am also secretly hoping, because they are both male that at least one of them shows some interest in talking. That would be fun.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's very exciting. :) Yes, I would keep their diet as close to what they're used to eating now as they settle into your home. Then as they become more comfortable, you can make the dietary changes you want to make.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Thanks Michelle.........that makes me feel better. I just want them to settle in and get comfortable and establish some trust with them. Then I can try and broaden their horizons!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You must post pictures of the sweet boys when you bring them home! Congratulations! :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so happy for you!

Pictures are a must! :)

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I have a question for anyone..........I have the ability to have four feeding stations in the cage for water and food. Do you recommend putting seeds, pellets and fresh food out at the same time in different feeding stations.........or should I just put veges out by themselves, then throw them out after two or three hours and put the pellets out next, and then maybe seed (since they really like seed) before bed as a "dessert". Can I free feed pellets or should I just put a few tablespoons out? I know I don't want to free feed the seed. Also.......should I take the sunflower seeds out of the seed mix or would that small amount be fine for their seed dessert in the evening.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I typically mix seed and pellets and have it available throughout the day. I use portion control so they don't just eat the seeds. Some people will put fresh food only in the morning, and then put the dry mix in after. That's fine too.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Picked the boys up yesterday.........long day. I promise I will have pictures, but I have to go read those instructions and figure out how to do that. For now they are settling in fine. This morning they are out on the balcony in the sun munching on millet. I was surprised last night........as I checked on them periodically, to find them sleeping hanging on to the side of the cage. Is this normal behavior? It didn't look very comfortable. Today I will go to the store and buy some veggies and start feeding them some chop along with their pellets and seed. I can't stop looking at them, they are so pretty.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I usually offer pellets in the morning and then a veggie snack later in the day which Kamara will work on for the rest of the day.

Her favourite way to be served veggies is when I hang them from the roof of the cage with a clothes pin

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Thanks.........I do have a couple of skewers I can use, but the clothespin idea is great to. I can clip food to the side of the cage with clothespins. You have done amazing with Kamara. Kamara has turned into a new bird. Congratulations.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww...the little sweethearts are probably just anxious. :swoon: Do you have any platform perches in the cage for them? Sometimes they're more comfortable sitting on those. They will settle given a little time, though.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I was planning on doing veggies in the morning and then pellets and seed during the day..........and maybe some veggies again in the evening. Right now they do not seem to be interested in eating, thus I pulled out the Millet, and they started chowing down. So I am going to have to be careful, I don't want them to think if they go on a hunger strike they will get Millet every time.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I made a small batch of chop, just enough for tonight and tomorrow. I just started with a really simple one. Just a small yellow pepper, some broccoli, some parsley, Kale and a small amount of cooked butternut squash. They actually poked around and ate a fair amount of it.

Last night they got really vocal around 7:30 for about a half an hour. Then they climbed up into the corner of the cage and that's where they slept most of the night. They moved around a little but always clung to the bars and slept that way. I never knew they could sleep that way.