• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping fighter parrot?

Atous

Strolling the yard
Hello all!

Ever sense Pepe escaped, we've been thinking about possibly clipping Flit feathers.

I felt that birds are meant to fly and that it's selfish to take it away. We also have too cats and we feel it's much safer for her to be able to fly. There's been a time or two where she'll be sitting on my knee and our cat, even with two bells, sneaks up and tries to Pat her and she's been able to avoid her.

We're also moving to a new apartment where the front door leads outside. We've come up with a plan to preventing her from getting out from the patio but we're not sure what to do about the front door.

She also just learned to fly maybe a month ago and I'd hate to take her joy. I'm also worried that shell hurt herself trying if I clip them.

What do we do??

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
not sure where you are from but if you can get curling ribbon hang it about 2 feet before the door and as long as you can from ceiling to floor. my 2 don't go beyond it. I use 4 pony beads to hold it down on each ribbon and because I live apt. I used heavy duty fishing line on the ceiling with Cup hooks to suspend it from the ceiling. see pictures
IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Atous

Strolling the yard
Thank you guys. I always try to keep them separate. Not only am I concerned of my birdies safety but Im concerned about my cats. I know flit is just itching to give Zelda a good bite and if that happens no one will be happy.

I really like that ribbon idea. it seems like a really cost effective idea. I have a beaded curtain we were going to use but, I miss judged the size of the entry and it's too small. Ribbons seem festive too!

I also am aware of the weird flying behavior, thank you. Pepe had a heart murmur and was on cage rest for a week and the vet told me that if he seems to fall when he's flying something is wrong. I just feel very strongly that birds are birds and birds fly and I'd like to do every thing I can to let them fly and be safe.

Thank you all for your suggestions. We all really appreciate it. It won't really be home until we can figure out how to make everyone safe and comfortable :)

Last edited:

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
I say,,,,don't get mad,,,never have her out unless the cats are secured. If your coming and going in the front door, keep her caged and safe until your in for the day and then let her out.
But, there are times when 1 person is home with the bird and someone visits, or someone else gets home and opens the door.

I came home one day & when I opened the front door, my bird was with Husband, he flew out the front door onto my head to greet me, omg, he could have flown away but he didn't, what a scare.
I loveeeeeee the billowy curtain idea on the youtube video, awesome!

Atous

Strolling the yard
I'm 100% convinced that's why my Pepe escaped. We had just gotten to my parents because my apartment was to be sprayed. I told my mom to take my birds to my old room cuz she wanted to say hello. My boyfriend opened the front door and I think air opened my bedroom door and he, I think, flew out to find me. He flew at my boyfriend in the fluster. I tried telling everyone to calm down but he freaked and so did my dad and of course so did Pepe and out the door he went. I felt terrible because at one point in the night I asked Ian why he freaked out and how if he just stayed calm Pepe would of sat on his head...

Not a second after saying it did I realize that he was just as hurt by Pepe escaping. I've made sure to make it clear that I don't blame my family and it was a horrible accident. I still feel terrible for saying what I said. He loves Pepe as much as I do. No one wanted his to escape.

That's why we're looking for a way to make sure we can protect or loves and keep them flighted at the same time :)

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I used a curtain rod that was adjustable and a heavy curtain.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Please note that clipped birds can and do fly away. My mother in law learned that the hard way. So please do not rely on clipping to keep your bird safe.

Atous

Strolling the yard
Please note that clipped birds can and do fly away. My mother in law learned that the hard way. So please do not rely on clipping to keep your bird safe.
I know, I've read so many times. But, when your bird escaped and EVERYONE is asking why did you let them fly.. you start questioning your decision.

Right now we're sticking to nocking before entering and putting the birds in the bed room if we go to the patio. Neither of us wants a repeat

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know, I've read so many times. But, when your bird escaped and EVERYONE is asking why did you let them fly.. you start questioning your decision.

Right now we're sticking to nocking before entering and putting the birds in the bed room if we go to the patio. Neither of us wants a repeat

I've lost my own bird to the outside also, 2 years ago. She was fully flighted. I've never once regretted that. I've only regretted not realizing she could get out through a tear in the screen. The mistake was not letting her be a bird. The mistake was me not being vigilant in keeping her environment safe.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But, when your bird escaped and EVERYONE is asking why did you let them fly.
And the next time you just answer: - Because he's a bird, and flying is what they do. :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My cockatiel was on hubby's shoulder, he forgot he was there, and he walked into the garage. The bird startled and flew out and the wind caught him, he was gone over 24 hours. I had him posted on Craigslist as lost and somebody posted on FB found and a kind person messaged me with it -- so we were reunited.

This was the DAY AFTER I clipped him. We stopped clipping that moment.

Now we remind each other: "I'm going in the garage to get bird food from the freezer." "You have a bird on your shoulder."
Still working on all the safety issues - we have an open floor plan with really no way to cover the front door, so I lock the screen (so that no one opens it unless I am ready). However if we get these new front doors we won't have a screen. Sigh.

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand

I've lost my own bird to the outside also, 2 years ago. She was fully flighted. I've never once regretted that. I've only regretted not realizing she could get out through a tear in the screen. The mistake was not letting her be a bird. The mistake was me not being vigilant in keeping her environment safe.
Nooooooo omg a hole in screen? ??? Omg we have huge hole in the ceiling part of our screened in lanai. I keep worring he will see it and get out, so lately i only let him on the porch on a cage, BUT, sometimes when i rin out there fir a second, i leave h om my shoulder. I cant do that anymore until my husband fixes the screen

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nooooooo omg a hole in screen? ??? Omg we have huge hole in the ceiling part of our screened in lanai. I keep worring he will see it and get out, so lately i only let him on the porch on a cage, BUT, sometimes when i rin out there fir a second, i leave h om my shoulder. I cant do that anymore until my husband fixes the screen

It was only about 1 to 1.5 inches and she got spooked and flew that direction, hit it just right and popped out. :(

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I also agree, birds should not have their wings clipped! That being said, my 20 yo macaw has his clipped because he is a danger to himself when he does try to fly. It is terrible and he has zero control over what he is doing. I think a safe rule is unless your vet recommended clipping for injury prevention, don't clip ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Sand it's also possible for a predator to come IN the hole in the screen cage. We have lots of hawks, and you aren't too far from me.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I also agree, birds should not have their wings clipped! That being said, my 20 yo macaw has his clipped because he is a danger to himself when he does try to fly. It is terrible and he has zero control over what he is doing. I think a safe rule is unless your vet recommended clipping for injury prevention, don't clip ;)
I feel that a medical reason, or *possibly* a situation like yours should, be the main reasons for clipping. Not taming, not aggression. Even birds who can't fly well may have the potential to learn how to fly and how to land.

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I feel that a medical reason, or *possibly* a situation like yours should, be the main reasons for clipping. Not taming, not aggression. Even birds who can't fly well may have the potential to learn how to fly and how to land.
We let his flight feathers grow out and I tried doing strengthening exercises with him. Unfortunately for Fritz he had broken his left wing and left foot in a previous home, leaving him very arthritic in both locations. His left foot has only about 10% of the strength of his right foot and is deformed because of the arthritis. His left wing has the equivalent of a human "frozen shoulder" and he has only 65% of his range in that wing. I do physical therapy for a living, so the therapist in me has attempted to help get the motion back.
In humans stretching a frozen shoulder is excruciating, and I believe it is no less painful for a bird. Eventually we gave up and clipped his wings. He really is happier this way and safer because with his wings clipped he just climbs where he wants.