• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Two males trying to mate?

hope86

Sitting on the front steps
Well I've made an interesting discovery today. Coco is, in fact, a boy. Which makes sense because he is loud and has been banging his beak on everything. The pet store insisted it was a hen because of the markings on its tail.

However, I'm pretty sure Charlie is a boy too. He isn't as loud as Coco but I think it's because he's shy. He bangs his beak on everything too and today, while hopping on top of his cage, made heart wings.

And then the courting started. All I could think was "please don't make babies, please don't make babies". I thought it was interesting that they were both acting exactly the same way, beak banging, hopping, lifting their wings. And then Coco mounted Charlie :wideyed:

So, I have 2 boys. Here are the blurry action shots. This lasted for a couple of minutes and now they're both napping on top of the cage like nothing happened. Do anyone else's male birds try to mate?

IMG_2023.PNG IMG_2027.PNG

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Well if one of them has markings on his/her tail then I'd say definitely a female,
But I'll leave this one to the experts :)

hope86

Well if one of them has markings on his/her tail then I'd say definitely a female,
But I'll leave this one to the experts :)
That's what I thought and then Catherine89 just posted a picture of her Charlie. DNA tested male with markings on his tail.

And I found this: I guess he's a pearl

Attachments

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My DNA confirmed female Jenday Conure bangs her beak too. My birds all get a nightly spoon feed and she does it to let me know she's impatient for her turn. She's the only one of my birds that beak bangs, so I didn't realise it was a male thing.

hope86

After spending all day reading, I just gave up on trying to guess their sex.

Apparently, there are female horses that mount male horses o_O and a ton of confused animals out there, tiels included. For every rule I find, I find that there are exceptions.

It's not just the beak banging, they act the exact same way. Hopping, crazy chirping, beak banging, spreading their wings. Their vocalizations are identical; Charlie just chirps, screams and whistles at a lower volume and with less frequency.

Ps. The beak banging is more like rattling the cage. I think they identify as woodpeckers lol. It's not a few bangs here and there. They do it all day, whether they're in the cage or outside the cage.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
My birds bang their beaks on the cages too lol, but only because its a behavior I taught them as a substitution for screaming when they're calling for me. Its bang bang bang all day long over here. :p

Just be careful you don't actually have two birds of opposite sex - then you could end up with eggs.

Toffee's owner

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vinny
haha well youre know for sure if one pops out some eggs :D

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Well if you have two males at least no baby's will come of it . I have been told my boy only has markings on his tail because he's a baby ( 8 wks) . I'm pretty sure he will lose them once he mults for the first time. The pet store I bought my lutino from told me she was a he and then one day sunny laid a egg and it very very clear I had a little girl.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
You have two boys! Coco is pied - pied and split pied tiels retain the baby tail bars and grey face for quite a while :)

It's pretty normal though. Miles has a thing for Phoenix, I'm sure he'd try something similar if the love weren't unrequited.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Igor and Mocha are extremely bonded to each other. I haven't seen either birdie attempt to mate with the other, though.

A couple of weeks ago, both tiels were singing and making heart wings to our Buddy, our Nanday. At first, Buddy just looked at them funny. o_O
Last week, Buddy began to shred newspaper into strips and attempted to build a nest. :jawdrop1:

There will be NO Cocka-ures around here...:bignono:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well,,,I've had two females do the same so this isn't weird to me, at least, if you have two boys there won't be eggies! They need to do whatever they're gonna do .

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Well,,,I've had two females do the same so this isn't weird to me, at least, if you have two boys there won't be eggies! They need to do whatever they're gonna do .
That's a good thing for sure.

I'm just stating to wonder about Buddy though...