• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Add a new macaw

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Hello,
As might some of you know we have a flock of gcc, sun conure, lovebird, tiel senegal and neophema
I Am thinking of getting a b&g mac :D
And i wanna get a 45 days baby macaw not an old one
We own an apartment and we are third floor with no side neighbors, but we have neighbors above and below in our building
Our ceilings are filled with sound and heat proof materials like yonolite

Our neighbors have not complained about sun conure or gcc screams...

So what do you guys think?

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Any idea?
Another thing is our home is located near airport
In our neighborhood apt are designed to minimize the planes sound

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't remember where you live, but it is far better to get an adult macaw. Babies (especially that young) have many potential health issues and if you don't have a good vet really close you may be in trouble.

Do you have any experience hand feeding a macaw?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I could not recommend a macaw to an apartment dweller due to their potential volume.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I wouldn't think a macaw would be great for an apt. My blue and gold is a year old now and he is active...I got him the largest cage for macaws available and its way too small for him now that he's healthy and grown into his size a bit more. He has an indoor aviary in a freight truck heading our way right now. And he is never in his cage, except for sleep and when I have to leave the house.
I'd also be worried about damage to a rental. Even with the best of monitoring a blue and gold will get into things...My guy tried chewing on my wall a couple times already. Plus he's starting to fly now and that presents a whole new level of challenges...Basically my house (or at least the areas he has access to) has been redone to accommodate his safety.
I'm sure some people manage their macaws in apts but it's a daunting prospect to me personally.
And as others have said, the noise level is an issue. My guy is relatively quiet and content but every once in a while he lets out a call that's so loud I can hear it down the street, and my house is very well insulated.
I imagine my neighbors hear it just fine and I have a large acre yard between us.

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
I don't remember where you live, but it is far better to get an adult macaw. Babies (especially that young) have many potential health issues and if you don't have a good vet really close you may be in trouble.

Do you have any experience hand feeding a macaw?
Yeah i am well experienced with hand feeding various species including macs

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Also i have a experienced vet as well
The only thing is sound level
I Have not heard a macaw scream sound
But i am dealing with a sun conure already
Actually 3 sun conures :D

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
How often do they scream will they scream more or less than a moloucan? Or any other cockatoo
I Am sure their vol is not as high as moloucan but what do you think?

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
How often do they scream will they scream more or less than a moloucan? Or any other cockatoo
I Am sure their vol is not as high as moloucan but what do you think?
It all comes down to the individual bird. If they're bored, angry, etc they'll scream more. Tho I have heard of some that just scream. My guy screams maybe once or twice in a day/night, sometimes not at all. But when he does it is ear breaking loud.

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
ANd how do u compare it to cockatoos?

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
ANd how do u compare it to cockatoos?
I have never had cockatoos so I can't say. I can say that macaws are very very loud and your neighbors will hear it

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There is absolutely no way to predict if an individual bird will be noisy, meaning vocalizing often. ALL macaws are loud. If I'm sitting on the front porch, solid oak door shut and the birds at the back of the house, I can hear my macaws. In some ways, a macaw is a giant conure. Imagine your sun weighing around or over 1,000 grams.

I have known people to have them in rental situations, but the success rate is infinitesimal. Most of the time, the bird pays the price and enters the cycle of bouncing from home to home. If you have your heart set on a macaw, wait until you own your own home. Enjoy the birds you have and save your money.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im speaking particularly about blue and golds. Since so many are in rescue. Loud birds. Their screams are not cute and they lack rhythm. Just squawk squawk squawk. Like a roaring dinosaur. I prefer the pathetic screech of a cockatoo. They sound like they're whining when they go off.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I can report that Petey has healthy lungs.