• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adopting a Lorikeet... would LOVE some more insight!

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hey Everyone!
Very new here, and to birds in general.... I contacted a rescue to see if I could find a bird to adopt, but not right away. Just letting them know what I was looking for in hopes to finding the perfect match in a few months. To my surprise, they have what seems like the perfect match now!
Moka is a Male (not sure if DNA'd tested) Rainbow Lorikeet that was pulled from a high kill shelter. He is now at a home based bird rescue in Ontario. Moke is hand tamed, and supposedly very friendly! He plucked a lot of feathers while at the shelter.
I've been doing TONS of research on them, so I know what food they require and that apparently their poop is awful.... though I have heard conflicting comments on this! I would LOVE some inside knowledge from some Lorikeet owners on the care, attention they need and poop (haha!). I'd also love to see some Lorikeet cage/poop guard setups as well.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Beautiful baby & thanks for trying to help him

I've seen them oin petshops & the poop is more watery & hear they shoot it thru the bars of the cage.

Rio does it every once in a while & its a pain to clean as it runs down on the bars/

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Beautiful baby & thanks for trying to help him

I've seen them oin petshops & the poop is more watery & hear they shoot it thru the bars of the cage.

Rio does it every once in a while & its a pain to clean as it runs down on the bars/
Thank you!!!

Yes... Im worried about the shooting. I've been told to use plastic sheeting below the cage, and then hanging it on the outside of the cage up pretty high. I know to make sure he can't reach and chew the plastic!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have a plastic mat under the cage which is on top of tiles for ease of clean.
Once he got poop on the vac hose that was near.

If its a possible 24 or 36 or more times a day poop it coudl be alot of work to keep clean.

Rio only does it in the morning if I don;t come to him before I go to the bathroom...
Its his repremand & it works./.:rofl:

This was after purple carrots the night before...no more late veggies!

Poop P1010598 red.jpg

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
How much time do you spend with Rio? I want to make sure Moka gets the attention he needs.... That's another thing I'm worried about!

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Moka is not a confirmed male, but has the same attributes as the rescued personal DNA tested male Lorikeet. So she is guessing he is male.
He's also around 7 years old.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I hung a shower curtain behind my lorikeet's cage, just out of beak reach. You could also affix flexible clear perspex to the rear wall of the cage. Sit the cage either on clear Perspex or a sheet of Lino.

When your baby is on you, keep a pack of unscented baby wipes nearby to wipe up the poops (which BTW don't smell & wipe up easily). It's a good idea to have separate clothes for spending time with the birds anyway, as they like to chew as well as poop. I also have a sort of shoulder cape thingy I wear, so they poop on that & not my clothes. Also, wearing one of those cleaner's type full aprons helps too. If I want to protect my buttons from removal, I pop on the cleaner's apron.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I hung a shower curtain behind my lorikeet's cage, just out of beak reach. You could also affix flexible clear perspex to the rear wall of the cage. Sit the cage either on clear Perspex or a sheet of Lino.

When your baby is on you, keep a pack of unscented baby wipes nearby to wipe up the poops (which BTW don't smell & wipe up easily). It's a good idea to have separate clothes for spending time with the birds anyway, as they like to chew as well as poop. I also have a sort of shoulder cape thingy I wear, so they poop on that & not my clothes. Also, wearing one of those cleaner's type full aprons helps too. If I want to protect my buttons from removal, I pop on the cleaner's apron.
Thanks for the advice!
I will definitely be looking to protect my walls and floor, haha. Great idea about the cape and clothes! Glad to know the poop isn't too smelly