• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrots First in LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I was looking into helping out in a sanctuary to meet some more birds and such before getting my own. I am moving to Santa Clarita, CA (Los Angeles) at the end of this month (June). I came across Parrots First which is in Sylmar, about 15 minutes from Santa Clarita. They're website has pretty much no info at all, but they did say they accept volunteers, so that's a start. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Parrots First and can give me some info. Obviously I will visit once I actually move, but if I get get some more information before I go it would help. I'm really hoping this place is good, as my only other option would be Santa Barbra Bird Rescue, which is a GREAT sanctuary, don't get me wrong, but it's and hour and a half away from Santa Clarita, so i'd only be able to go once or twice a moth as opposed to once to twice a week at Parrots First in Sylmar. Any info will help, thanks.

Parrots First- As you can see, not much info on the site, that's why I need your help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They actually look like they're pretty well-organized to me. I think it's definitely worth checking out and am glad you're interested in volunteering.

Frank Levine

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Frank Levine
Hi Gabe - this is Frank from Parrots First
I'm sorry there isn't much information regarding volunteering on our website. since we are not actually a sanctuary there aren't that many volunteer opportunities. we are a Parrot Adoption Agency... we work from our home, which is in Sylmar, and the majority of our adoptable birds are in foster homes. we also foster birds here at our home as well.
what we need most of all from people who wish to volunteer is foster homes.
not everybody CAN foster for various reasons but if this is something you think you would be interested in doing you can send an email to my wife, Rose, and she can discuss it with you and get you started. since you are so close to Sylmar you would be a perfect candidate for a foster home.
I see that you don't have any parrots of your own yet, so i would also like to extend an invitation to you to come to our house some weekend when you've got some time to meet the birds we currently have.
One of the benefits of fostering is that you will get to experience different types of parrot and perhaps find one that fits your lifestyle. we give priority to our foster homes if they do fall in love with one of the birds in their care, as well as a reduction in the adoption fee.
I am available to answer any questions you may have, but your best bet is to contact Rose at rose@parrotsfirst.org. but please also feel free to contact me. my email is frank@parrotsfirst.org.

By the way we are on Facebook as well - Facebook

Have a great weekend and i hope to hear back from you soon.
Frank

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi Frank and welcome to AA. We here on AA will suggest to a person looking for a companion bird to adopt first.

Frank Levine

Real Name
Frank Levine
Hi Lady Jane. it's a pleasure to be here.
thank you for recommending adoption. if anyone here is in the Los Angeles area we're here to help if you wish to adopt or need to rehome a parrot.
the easiest way to contact us is thru the emails i listed above or messaging us through Facebook.
have a great day!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@Frank Levine
Thank you for the good work that you and your guardians do in helping parrots find their forever home.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Interesting...never heard of them but they are about 20 miles away/

The photos of the birds available are all hijacked by photobucket.

Nice they stopped by to say hello...

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Hi, Frank. I just got my first bird last week on the 12th of July. He is a three month old cockatiel. Now just because I have my own bird now doesn't mean I don't want to foster. I'm still interested. I'll send you guys an email later this week.

Frank Levine

Real Name
Frank Levine
Hi Gabe, congratulations on your new family member. cockatiels are wonderful birds. our first bird was a "normal gray' Cockatiel... she was a real sweetie pie.
so that's great that you're still interested in fostering. i'll look for your email and get right back to you.
camelotshadow... i just saw that Photobucket did that on our Petfinder page. i don't remember us EVER using Photobucket so i don't know hat is up with that - but i am going to look into it. thanks for the heads-up.
you're all welcome to come visit us on Facebook too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.