• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How much time do Indian Ringnecks need a day?

Sakagucci

Moving in
I was fixated on a GCC, but I remembered our past Indian Ringneck pair (we got them as adults), and was interested in them again when I found a two-month old tame ringneck available. I should be able to visit it sometime soon.

I've heard they can be difficult, and other times, I've heard it can depend on the individual bird. But, either way, they seem really worth it. I hope to devote a lot of time to whichever bird I get, but I did read a couple places that if you neglect them for a few days, they'll revert to their "wild nature." Is that correct?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I'm not sure about ringnecks, but I know with ANY parrots if you neglect them for a few days there are consequences lol. For example I was unable to spend quality time with my macaw for two days because I had a cold a while back and for the next week he was angry with me...Fake bite striking, yelled at me a few times, just generally peeved at me etc. Then with consistent attention he went back to his normal loving self.
Hopefully some people with more ringneck specific knowledge can chime in.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have an IRN, he's out all day in the birdroom with everyone else to get into trouble and play,,,yes,,,they all get together and make a huge mess for moms... he's OK with it, and sooooo happy to see me when I get home. He's glue bird for a while, then I let him do his bird stuff before bedtime. Maybe I'm lucky..

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Most IRNs have an independent attitude...i.e. they're really not that cuddly, nor do they crave a huge amount of human interaction. I've also heard that IRNs can "revert to being wild" if they're neglected for long periods of time. I've never seen or heard of that happening, though. I do believe that you'll have trouble with just about any species if you take away interacting with them after they've gotten used to having the interaction.

Titan had his independent streak...he'd come and interact with us when he wanted to and then go off to do what IRNs do...eat, play with his bells, chew a little, etc. Once in awhile, he'd shy away from people for a day or two, just because he wanted to.

I don't think if a ringneck didn't have interactions with people for a few days that s/he would revert back to being "wild"...but that's just my opinion...

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I don't know about turning completely wild, but in the past I've had a few days where I haven't been around and Joey has gotten very nasty with me upon my return. My mother will watch her, but will not interact with her. So when I come home, she's had no interaction. I have to take a day or two to work with her and shower her with affection and then she's okay. I've never had this issue with Sam, Sydney, or any of the budgies. I don't know if it's a ringneck thing. But for a little bit there, I do believe she'd kill me if she could, as opposed to the other birds who just want to see me and are happy I'm home.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Its not as much me spending time with Kiwi as it is to make myself available when SHE wants me. I can tell she has an attitude when I am extra busy sometimes and don't respond to her calling to me. She is out on top of her cage all day and when she wants me she perches on the edge and "orders me" me to come to her...in those times she is as sweet as she can be, gives me beak kisses and peekaboos. If she is feeling independent some days I will walk over and she lunges at me and kinda growls. She never bites though (I know, never say never), its her way of saying "not now, I want my space"

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If she is feeling independent some days I will walk over and she lunges at me and kinda growls. She never bites though (I know, never say never), its her way of saying "not now, I want my space"
When Titan felt independent, he'd give us "THE LOOK", and either run or fly to an unoccupied part of the room! Message sent...and received.

Oh yes...Titan never bit anyone...ever...I guess we were lucky...

julietta

Moving in
Real Name
Julietta
We have an extremely unusual IRN who craves cuddles all the time. He will literally take cuddles as a reward instead of treats! When we have to go away each summer, we leave him and our other birds in the care of a fellow who also has birds. Habibi (our :irn:) always does really well, especially since this friend of ours keeps his birds "free range" the way we do, and the birds are never kept in their cages. Unfortunately Habibi has not accepted our friend enough to be open to cuddling, which means when we come back he is in serious withdrawal (luckily our friend's wife can cuddle him, or I think Habibi would explode).

When we return from holiday, Habibi screams at us as we approach the house. He then turns himself away to literally give us the cold shoulder when we approach. He shrieks as loud as possible, and does not stop until my husband (his favourite person) cuddles him. Habibi is usually extra attention hungry for the following two weeks, and requires of a lot of one-on-one time.

I do not know about other IRN's, but ours requires a LOT of time. In the morning before work we have to wake up early to accommodate cuddle time. This morning Habibi was particularly clingy and decided to shower with my husband. :swoon: It actually made my morning :giggle: The point is! Our bird is kind of like a toddler. He requires a ton of time.

This kind of makes "Kiwi" (our Alexandrine :al:) seem incredibly aloof. She is probably just normal. In the afternoons when we come home, she will often call me over. Sometimes it is to catch a ride somewhere, sometimes it is for food, and sometimes she just likes to poof up and sit on my arm. Every other day she will perch on my head and stay there while I do chores like sweeping up the mess they made. So while I would say the after bird in this group does not need a ridiculous amount of time, I think you need to be within reach and definitely within view at least 4 hours a day.

Just my thoughts :)

Riptide Queen

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Uri
Melon, my IRN is very independent... Until daddy (my fiance) is around then all she wants from him are scritches. I haven't seen or actually heard of them going "wild" without attention. All I do know is she does let me know when she hasn't gotten interaction. She will come to me if she wants attention and she will fly off to her cage when she wants to go and be a bird. She's only bitten me but not my fiance.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My IRN can recognize my father after months of not seeing him and still be in love with him. If I tried half the things my father is capable of I'd be bleeding a lot. Most days my IRN tolerates me more than appreciates my presence. Some days she doesn't even want to tolerate me but seeing as she's food motivated it's usually not an issue. It depends on the day. The days she naps next to me are rare and few between but adorable all the same. She wasn't tame when I got her though and it was a learning curve as I never had any bird experience before her, maybe that has something to do with her personality.