• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hooded Parrot

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
IMG_4805.JPG
I adopted this little Hooded Parrot. I named him Irwin. He was part of a large seizure of birds from an abuse/neglect situation. The rescue at which I work took in over 100 birds. Irwin had a mate, but she died the day she was taken in. Many of the birds didn't make it, and there were many birds dead at the scene. Irwin himself was too weak to fly and he has some sternum deformities that may be from past malnutrition, but 10 months after being taken in, he is doing much better, eating beans, grains, vegetables, and even the occasional grape. He can fly now, and he will fly from one side of his cage to the other quite often. He is still pretty scared, and probably always will be. I don't think he was exposed much to people, he was probably raised to be a breeder.
Someone here on Avian Avenue gave me a lot of advice on how to care for these birds. So with his help, and my vet's help, I'm glad to report that Irwin is doing okay. He is much more vocal lately.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Irwin looks so beautyful! Thank you so much for saving him :heart: do you consider giving him a mate again??

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Irwin looks so beautyful! Thank you so much for saving him :heart: do you consider giving him a mate again??
From what I've read, it's very hard to introduce birds to each other once they are adults. Breeders take two unrelated chicks and raise them together. I guess adults often kill new mates introduced to them. Add this to the fact that these birds are so rare on this side of the planet, and I think that poor Irwin is probably destined to remain single.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Have you considered getting a 2th cage with a bird ;-) they may not be in the same cage, but they could still enjoy eachother's company?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a beautiful bird!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Irwin is very beautiful. Thank you for taking him into your home as a foster and then deciding to keep him.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
He makes a clicking sound. It's pretty cool. He sounds like a combination between a woodpecker and a tree frog.

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
Wow, beautiful bird and story, thank you for saving him :)
Are you trying to or are you going to try to tame him? Regardless, good job, the world needs more people like you!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He is indeed beautiful and it's great that you were able to give him a home! What was the situation that all these birds were found in? Did the breeder die or was it dementia or something like that or did the breeder just lose his/her marbles? It seems like he had quite the collection of birds. It's so unfortunate that these things happen.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Wow, beautiful bird and story, thank you for saving him :)
Are you trying to or are you going to try to tame him? Regardless, good job, the world needs more people like you!
I try to sit near his cage in the morning. He still gets really upset when I go into his cage, and he won't come out on his own. Whatever makes him happy is okay. I think he's happier being left alone to yell at the sparrows outside.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a beauty :)

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
He is indeed beautiful and it's great that you were able to give him a home! What was the situation that all these birds were found in? Did the breeder die or was it dementia or something like that or did the breeder just lose his/her marbles? It seems like he had quite the collection of birds. It's so unfortunate that these things happen.
I'm not a doctor so I can't really say if there were mental health issues. He didn't die. He was charged criminally, and got of with a very light sentence after dragging the process out about as far as he could.

There were lots of dead birds, the debris on the floors was literally over a foot deep. Some of the birds had open wounds, some had no water, many had no food, and the food was of poor quality. The place was so dusty and the air so laden with debris, that just is walking around and moving cages put enough debris onto the heaters that the place started to fill with smoke once the heat came on after the sun went down.

Honestly, I never payed attention to the criminal case. Nothing they could do to him would help us help the birds. Getting mad at him wasn't going to help. Usually when a criminal gets a slap on the wrist, the victims feel re victimized. Luckily for the birds, they don't really know any better. IN MY MIND I decided that he was sick, prayed he got better, and decided not to worry about him any more. I dont have the energy to be mad at him. We could have used a lot more of his money. We were stuck in limbo where nobody was paying boarding fees, yet we couldn't adopt the birds out. Plus, we couldn't take in other birds, and our whole adoption program had to go on hold because we were trying to care for so many birds. We were no longer able to have people visit bond with birds, etc. It took a long time to start operating close to normal again. Recently we have been able to start adopting out birds again, including these birds. A lot of them aren't really suitable as companion birds right now, but we will give them time and see how they do. Others are super sweet and will make great pets. The adoption process just takes a little time, and there are a lot of applications to go through. We have probably adopted out 20 of these birds so far.

More info is probably still up at Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I'm not a doctor so I can't really say if there were mental health issues. He didn't die. He was charged criminally, and got of with a very light sentence after dragging the process out about as far as he could.

There were lots of dead birds, the debris on the floors was literally over a foot deep. Some of the birds had open wounds, some had no water, many had no food, and the food was of poor quality. The place was so dusty and the air so laden with debris, that just is walking around and moving cages put enough debris onto the heaters that the place started to fill with smoke once the heat came on after the sun went down.

Honestly, I never payed attention to the criminal case. Nothing they could do to him would help us help the birds. Getting mad at him wasn't going to help. Usually when a criminal gets a slap on the wrist, the victims feel re victimized. Luckily for the birds, they don't really know any better. IN MY MIND I decided that he was sick, prayed he got better, and decided not to worry about him any more. I dont have the energy to be mad at him. We could have used a lot more of his money. We were stuck in limbo where nobody was paying boarding fees, yet we couldn't adopt the birds out. Plus, we couldn't take in other birds, and our whole adoption program had to go on hold because we were trying to care for so many birds. We were no longer able to have people visit bond with birds, etc. It took a long time to start operating close to normal again. Recently we have been able to start adopting out birds again, including these birds. A lot of them aren't really suitable as companion birds right now, but we will give them time and see how they do. Others are super sweet and will make great pets. The adoption process just takes a little time, and there are a lot of applications to go through. We have probably adopted out 20 of these birds so far.

More info is probably still up at Rhode Island Parrot Rescue
I know exactly what you mean...my macaw Bowser came from a horrible horrible "breeder" and in every way he was a rescue to me. This guy had so many birds and so little space. The cops were called, an investigation was made, but since there was food (and the food was jiffy bread) and water in bowls when they got there they couldn't even charge him with neglect. Because the state's laws are so lax on space required and enrichment required for birds he walked away from it all. It would be easy to turn bitter, but I just focus on my Bowser and how happy he is now. It cost thousands of dollars to get him healthy from this man's neglect and he paid not a cent. But he'll also never have Bowser again and that's a win, just like your fid has you now and that's such a good thing. Thank you for taking him in and showing him love. :)

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
I try to sit near his cage in the morning. He still gets really upset when I go into his cage, and he won't come out on his own. Whatever makes him happy is okay. I think he's happier being left alone to yell at the sparrows outside.
As long as he's happy, that's what matters :) You did a wonderful job!

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
Thank you for rescuing this beautiful parrot. If only every parrot owner was as dedicated to helping birds as those of you on AA, so many birds wouldn't be suffering from abuse and neglect.