• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

14 week old moustache parakeet not weaned

Sinéad

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
sinead
I need everyone's help please. I brought home a 14 week old moustache parakeet yesterday and was iven some formula with him and told by the breeder to give a syringe twice a day. I have tried this and he is crying for food constantly. He eats some of the seed mix i was given with him but not any fruit or veg i have offered. I have given him two syringes half an hour ago and this is the first time he hasn't cried since i brought him home yesterday. i know he is telling me he is hungry. I have run out of formula now and will have to get some tomorrow. how do i wean him?? I have no experience with this and was totally unprepared for it. I have two other birds that i adopted as adults so I have never had a baby bird. Please help me :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would contact the breeder and ask for her help. Can you get more formula today?

(And welcome to the forum!)

@karen256 ? @Birdbabe ?

Last edited:

Sinéad

Real Name
sinead
I have messaged the breeder and he hasnt replied!! I can get more formula tomorrow (it is 7pm where I am now) but I don't know what formula my baby was used to. Does this matter? Is this normal for 14 weeks?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm not very knowledgeable on baby birds. I'll try to tag some other people. I know with cockatiels, although they typically wean by 10 weeks, it's not uncommon for them to need more time. Also, the stress of a new home can make a baby bird regress and need hand feedings. Plus, the fact that the breeder sent you home with formula suggests to me that he knew the baby wasn't fully weaned.

@melissasparrots ? @Laurie ? @blewin ? @Hankmacaw ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He is young, and in a new environment. So some of it is wanting food, and some of it is comfort. In the wild his parents would continue to feed him for months past what most breeders do. In my opinion this is normal and expected behavior (and the breeder knows this too).

It is best to use the same hand feeding food if possible, and you must be careful of the temperature to not burn the crop.

Sinéad

Real Name
sinead
thanks guys i'll get some more formula tomorrow and hopefully everything will go okay then

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Was he weaned to pellets when you brought him Home? Try offering him some softened pellets. Comfort feeding is probably what he wants. But if he took 2 syringes he's hungry as well. Get the same Formula he had from the Breeder, but also try the softened pellets. My Mustache came to me at about 12 weeks. He was weaned, but he regressed a little. I comfort fed him in the morning and evening... softened pellets... until he didn't want it anymore. If he begged or acted like he wanted more I gave him more.
It will be OK. He's a baby and is scared and away from his home for the first time. You're his new Mom & Dad and siblings.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Baby birds regress when they are in a new environment. If your breeder doesn't contact you, Kaytee makes a good formula. Because your bird is 14 weeks old, make sure that the food is the right consistency. It has to be thicker when they are older. I fed Bella twice a day, in the morning and at night, then at night, and then she refused hand feeding. I fed her for 6 weeks after I got her. Also, try soft foods such as oatmeal, and pasta along with the pellets veggies and seeds. The good thing about hand feeding is the bird will bond to you more quickly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In addition to the seed mix and fruits and veggies offer him pellets, millet and also a few Cheerios (easy for him to pick up & eat). Keep trying to contact the breeder so that you can find out which formula he is using and you can then use the same one for consistency. I used Kaytee Exact with my babies. I would also recommend weighing him daily. If you don't have a digital postal or kitchen gram scale it's a good idea to get one. Hoping things will be OK with your baby.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Seems old not to be weaned but some are slow. Its best to use the same formula but guess any good formula is OK given as already described. They also have special pellets meant to be softened to transition from baby food.
Not all that common & may be hard to get in foreign countries.

I was getting a baby still on them close to 4 mo but I had surgery & could not get the bird at the time. Well the breeder used this food but I suppose soaked Higgin In yune would be just as good.

Amazon Hand Weaning » www.scenicbirdfood.com

The pellet are wet & are softened & easily eaten..they are specially designed rather than wtting normal pellets but guess you could do that to with harrisons or whatever to encourage eating as the chicl is pretty old.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's in a new place, insecure, and wanting comfort feeding. Give it to him and also start trying to get him to eat soft foods, chop, scramble eggs, oatmeal,,, anything he will eat. He will wean in time.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Scrambled Eggs are a good choice. My Mustache, Beaks, LOVES them. He would Gulp down a DOZEN if I gave it to him!