• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

avatar harnesses and older birds

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I took the plunge and purchased an avatar harness for my macaw. I watched the video, which notes that training an older bird to accept the harness is much more difficult than younger birds. While I get that, I wanted to ask AA members how many of you have been successful training your older bird to accept it.

Shaylor is almost 4 years old.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
My TOO is 29 and i finally took the plunge with a harness. Well it's been 3 weeks and it's now hanging in her cage and she has finally stopped screaming at it LOL. This is going to be a really slow process if it all. Good luck

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well, Jasper is such a wuss that although she whined about it she just sniveled a few times when I put it on her. Then she proceeded to chew it up into little pieces and she's done that with two more. She don't need no damned harness.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton hisses at his harness. Sunshine gives you the "sad tiel" look when he has his on. I'm waiting on a harness for Buddy. We'll keep working with Sunshine and Buddy when his harness arrives.
Milty is 21, Sunshine is approximately 2 years old, and Buddy is 8...

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
While I get that, I wanted to ask AA members how many of you have been successful training your older bird to accept it.
I have not trained older birds then 2 years to wear a harness, but I don't think that age is a problem at all. Trust is so much more important, and of course to take it slow and give them time.
At the moment I'm working with my 2 year old Akela that is parrot raised, and yesterday was the first day that she accepted the harness around her neck. (just for some seconds)
And I have been training her for several month. (But not every day) And we have time so we take it slow. :)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone, for sharing your experiences. I have it hanging near his cage ATM, and will start working more on the wing lifting thing. Never really did that with him before now.