• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My cockatiel screams all day long

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
The trigger for his screaming is loneliness, This is why he stops when he is with the budgies and starts up again when you take him away. So don't take him away.
If your budgies are tame, you can use that to show him you're not a threat. Spend as much time with the birds that you can possibly do. We spend between 4 to 6 hours each day with Henry and Angel. More if I'm not having to work.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
the budgies bonded with each other and are not super tame. They do come on my hand for millet and seeds, however. Should I just put them all in the same cage then because I cannot watch them together for 3 hours every day. I always worry my cockatiel will hurt my budgies. My budgies want to give him kisses sometimes and he gives them a warning dive when they try to. Sometimes he spreads his wings to intimidate them ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's actually the opposite. The worry is the budgies would hurt him. Tiels are really mellow. Are they housed next to each other?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just open the doors and let them hang out for a while! I wouldn't house them together immediately, as the budgies might not like inviting the cockatiel into their nest. Putting cages next to each other may suffice

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tara , tiels will do that warning thing then usually they fly off.

But it worries me, you don't have 3 hours for them? Can't you read/study/do chores while they are nearby? You don't have to actually "watch" them the whole time. :)

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Oh Tara, you poor thing! I've never heard of cockatiels doing that...it's so sad that the store sold his mate! I think he's very angry about that...poor guy. It sounds like the parakeets give him some stability, comfort, and sorry to say but this little guy is looking for bird friendship, more then human companionship (in my opinion) I'd put their cages as near as possible and let them always see each other, but I would think the bond between the two parakeets is most likely pretty strong, not sure how everyone would do out together, but you could give it a try. Also, I'd try to eat breakfast, lunch with them any time possible and try to join the bird group that they will form. Best wishes to you and your little "flock". :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can break the time up that your bird is out into 20-30 minute segments. @Patty Girl is right, eating is a great time to have your birds out with you. I would not put them all in the same cage, but give them supervised out time together and put their cages near each other.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I always remind myself that owning birds is like having a 2-3 yr old child that doesn't grow up. They want to be entertained and get bored easily. You mentioned he came from a pet store-there is usually alot of chatter & activity in pet stores he could be missing that.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
It's actually the opposite. The worry is the budgies would hurt him. Tiels are really mellow. Are they housed next to each other?
Yeah Even if their cage is right next to each other he still screams. He is actually not mellow. He opens his beak all the time if I go near him. He does his lunge at the budgies if they get inside his "bubble". He is like not the typical sweet loving cockatiel I hoped for.

Crow lover

Sitting on the front steps
I find placing a loud bird close to a window often helps keep them interested and quiet. I also keep my cages in the same room and the birds can chat and interact with each other all day long. How sad his mate was sold and he was left behind! Think how that made him feel? People don't realize how smart birds are and that they also have feelings. We would hate the world too if we were treated like that! When he is on your last nerve.... think how he felt watching his friend grabbed out of the cage, put in a box, and carried out the door. The store closed for the night and he sat in the dark wondering where she was? His feathers fluffed and missing the warm body that slept next to him every night. That breaks my heart.... Another bird might be the answer.... He needs to be happy. If you guys can not seem to bond, maybe you could find another home for him, but make sure the person is a perfect match and knows exactly what he has been through. Sometimes I think birds think any attention is better than no attention and try to irritate the person that takes care of them. You do not have to feel stuck with him. Maybe he is not the right bird for you, but he might be perfect for someone else. Mine loves to sit on my shoulder and I often forget she is there. She is a Sun Conure that animal control brought to me one rainy day. Two little boys had plucked every feather off of her and put he outside in the rain to run around while they laughed at her! She was put through hell living with those kids and it took her a while to trust me. Good luck with your bird!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Thanks. The original owners did not try to tame him at all. I think that's the problem. The original owners were probably mean to him and his mate or did not socialize them, or let them out of the cage (That's what I am guessing from what I see). I have started to look for someone who has a cockatiel who wants to take him in. No luck yet, I live on an island and not many bird lovers here in NL , canada. I do wonder though if my cockatiel is a bit slow. When he drinks he coughs , he doesnt fly from one perch to another or hop , i know his wings are clipped but when he is out of the cage he will fly to the floor sometimes. In the cage he bobs his head up and down like he wants to hop to another perch for about 2 or 3 minutes, then eventually walks to it....

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Update - I spoke with a breeder and she said try homing him with my budgies. I tried that but the budgies were pretty bossy and never moved when he wanted to go to other places in the cage. So I let them play together in the cage for awhile each day and found someone who was looking to buy another cockatiel, sadly i sold him yesterday (I really didn't want two cockatiels). But, the young lady who bought him and his cage sent me videos and they wanted to be in the same cage right away so she allowed it. This morning Pablo (my former cockatiel) is preening her male cockatiel! I didn't know males preened each other! It is love at first sight ! Her cockatiel was in a cage too small for him and was pooping outside of the cage by sticking his butt against the cage walls. At first I was baffled when she told me this, but after seeing her cage i saw why. Her first cockatiel was in that cage for 1.5 years what a sin. (She got him only a month ago from the former owner). So all in all, this rehoming worked out great for both buddy and pablo. I am so happy! I just hope she doesn't expect super tame cockatiels since they bonded so quick.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Are they in a bigger cage now?

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yes ! I sold her Pablo's cage my 30 inch x 20 inch x 5 foot height and they are both in it super happy! She said he no longer sleeps outside of the cage and poops inside ! The original owner of her first cockatiel, Buddy, never told her a thing about cockatiels so she was a very uniformed new bird owner. I informed her and she said I can come visit them anytime , turns out she lives down the road. =D

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad Pablo is happy with his new friend, and I hope he likes his new home!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Budgies can be cruel to tiels.

Glad he found a home with a friend as he was seperated from his other buddy.

Seems both of the tiels lives are better now...

Maybe he came to you as somehow you were meant to find him his forever home.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Maybe ! I spent a lot of time with Pablo trying to tame him, I really wished he didn't dislike me so much. But that cockatiel hes with hes in love with him ALREADY ! I cannot believe it. All the time i spent with him I feel like he never wanted to reciprocate. I wonder why! He only wanted a bird friend, but never a human friend. I am pretty confused ! I spent time target training him and giving him treats, playing with him and his paper, but most of the time he just screamed! even if I was right next to the cage chillin with him and talking to him! Sometimes he would do some really nice chirps, but the screaming was very often!

Them meeting for the first time. Pablo was inside the cage, doing his best happiest whistles.

The next day.. their in the big cage and Pablo is preening buddy! Buddy gets saucy and demands more :D

The new owner sent me these videos =) God love her.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:heart::heart:

They are so sweet together & may squabble over who preens who but they look happy!

Her tiel looks so poorly/ severely clipped. Someone if taking off so much. I hope they did not injure his wings. Tell her to be careful!!!!

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
wow thanks for letting me know ! She never clipped him herself. Yeah i saw the squabble but wasnt worried it was kinda funny and i can tell they werent hurting each other.

But i really dont know why Pablo didn't want to be happy with me.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
But i really dont know why Pablo didn't want to be happy with me.

Imagine if all you wanted in life was a spouse, someone who understood you and you could be intimate with. And someone kept telling you "well, here's a dog, that's the same thing right?"

It's not.

Pablo was missing something from your life the you couldn't give him.