• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About turquoise mutation

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Hi all

A quick question and i need the help from the experts:)
How can i achieve the turquoise mutation on blue masked lovebirds?

Thanks

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
By the way those are my birds. Their collar doesnt seem very clear (white). Its more greyish i would say.
It is a confirmed pair though with dna testing

IMG_20170619_205232.jpg

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
You can't produce one without owning one.
If you get one, you can pair it up with a Blue or another Turquoise to get visual Turquoise babies.

Here's my Turquoise Hen when she had babies. The back of her head was plucked a bit from when they were mating.

She was paired with a Double Factor Violet Blue Male. Here he was outside the nestbox.

This was the baby I kept. I ended up with three Turquoise, and 2 Blues from the pairing.

Last edited:

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for your reply. Very beautiful birds there.

From where did the turquoise mutation came from then? I mean it started from some other mutations

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Randomly from the blues or greens? Can someone achieve turquoise mutation through selective breeding without using one?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Randomly from the blues or greens? Can someone achieve turquoise mutation through selective breeding without using one?
Not under normal circumstances. As Tim said, it is possible for one to randomly appear, but the odds are far less than miniscule. For most mutations, they will only appear once, or twice, in a species that way ever from all of the breedings across the world.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Any "Mutation" is based off a change to the Ancestral bird.
You have to understand the reason for the visual changes/mutations to the birds.

GREEN - Has psittacin
BLUE - No psittacin
PARBLUE (Turquoise) - Partial psittacin

Breeding "Blues" to "Greens split to Blue", you will get Greens with Psittacin, and Blues with no Psittacin. There is no way to achieve PARTIAL psittacin through these pairings.
The same for "Green to Green", and "Blue to Blue". All babies will either have it (Green), or not (Blue).
Unless you are one of the very, very, very rare people (like 1 in a billion) who gets a mutation to occur naturally in your flock, you have to have a Parblue to produce one.

Michalis

Meeting neighbors
Thank you guys! You were very helpful.
Sorry for my limited knowledge:handup: