• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning Question

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Hey everyone!
Unfortunately, my starlings' favorite places to sit are on my television and my computer. So naturally, there is a lot of poo. Does anyone know of any safe cleaners I could use to get rid of the doo? I have tried different things, but there are still white stains.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Have you let your cleaner sit for about 15 minutes and then wipe it off? Maybe try PoopOff, F10, apple cider vinegar, etc.

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
I can't let the cleaner sit because it is on electronics. So I have to use a slightly wet towel. But I will try those other things you suggested. Thanks!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I can't let the cleaner sit because it is on electronics. So I have to use a slightly wet towel. But I will try those other things you suggested. Thanks!
That was my worry. Apple cider vinegar does a good job on my litter boxes for the cats when they start to get stained if I let it sit a bit. PoopOff works but I think the fragrance is ridiculous to add in a cleaner.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Why not dip a q tip in vinegar, squzze the end a bit and gently wipe the stains then go back with a dry q tip and dry it off, might work.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you try blue Dawn dish liquid?

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I used dawn and then a q-tip with vinegar and it removed most of the stains. I also put a shelf up right above my TV so they have something else to poop on. :laugh:
Now I just need an umbrella for my laptop! :laughin:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I used dawn and then a q-tip with vinegar and it removed most of the stains. I also put a shelf up right above my TV so they have something else to poop on. :laugh:
Now I just need an umbrella for my laptop! :laughin:
Get a pool noodle and cut a slit so it fits on top of your laptop. It makes for pleasant conversation from friends too that see it :rofl:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
try a long piece of curling ribbon hung in a loop from the ceiling. for some reason they avoid it like the plague. I use across my hallway to keep my 2 from getting into the bathroom and bedroom

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I use wipes on most things like that. Even bleach wipes -- the bleach is very diluted and it doesn't harm them (and I have smaller birds and finches).

Love the pool noodle idea.:laugh:

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Timing is key too! The sooner the better obviously. My Mynah bird is a devil for it. What is it with TVs and laptops?! I try and take food out my Spock's cage about 30 minutes before I let her out and I don't feed her while she is out, which reduces muckiness production, but I appreciate it might not be possible for everyone.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
I have yet to experience the TV issue but I have 'enjoyed' getting poop off my laptop keyboard... Q-tips all the way.

Otherwise I have found that vinegar soaked microfiber cloths work great (soak but wring out so it is only damp) - the microfiber has enough texture to really scrub when I need to but it doesn't damage any surfaces in my house.

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
Timing is key too! The sooner the better obviously. My Mynah bird is a devil for it. What is it with TVs and laptops?! I try and take food out my Spock's cage about 30 minutes before I let her out and I don't feed her while she is out, which reduces muckiness production, but I appreciate it might not be possible for everyone.
Yeah, my Starlings eat all of the time. If they do not have food out for them 24/7, they act like they are starving. Kind of like a cat. :laughing2:

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
I use wipes on most things like that. Even bleach wipes -- the bleach is very diluted and it doesn't harm them (and I have smaller birds and finches).

Love the pool noodle idea.:laugh:
Never tried bleach wipes. I go through half of a package of baby wipes a day trying to keep up with their messes. I do put puppy training pads down where I can, but it seems like they go everywhere but where I place them. :batonthehead:

PiptheStarling

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah
I have yet to experience the TV issue but I have 'enjoyed' getting poop off my laptop keyboard... Q-tips all the way.
Yep. I had to take my poo stained laptop to a class once. Told the person sitting next to me that I had left my laptop under a tree. Only bird parents would understand the truth. :laughing2:

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I clip a scrap piece of fabric to the top edge of my TV and drape it across the cables and components in the back. Keeps everything clean, and I just toss it in the wash occasionally with their cage cover and such. I use enzyme cleaners (Poop-off, Natures Miracle) to clean up the occasional stray poop.

SquawkandHowl

Moving in
Real Name
Lily Kunning
Another person here has Starlings?! Awesome!