• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

They love to be out of cage

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
My African Ringnecks love to come out of their cage but we can't handle them yet,we've had them since Dec. And they have been out 3 times,we have to catch them with a towel to put them back in....its stressful but they seem less scared everytime,so my question is should we not let them out until we can hold them? They are so happy when their out of their cage

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It would be best to let them go at their pace, they will come around. Plesse dont towel, that can be stressful, bribe them with treats (like miillet) to get them back in. It just takes time and patience.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can try target training with them. Can you let them out in smaller room and work with them? I also would use treats to encourage my tiel to go back in his cage himself.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Even hand tame birds have to be encouraged back into their cages at times... I put a nutri-berry in their food bowl and they scramble to get inside as fast as they can. It only takes one or two times for them to catch onto the theme.

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Hi, while they are in their cage(s) so much you have a brilliant opportunity to start bonding with them. What have you been doing to tame them? I would strongly suggest you look into target training if you haven't already. In the cage first is great and then when they're out.

I have had an Amazon and have a Mynah and an Alexandrine at the moment. I couldn't go near the Amazon, but her belly took her back to her cage! The Mynah will happily land on my hands and eat from them, but she won't "step-up" or do anything on command - she's my wild little thing and if I'm honest I haven't ever wanted anything different from her - so I save live mealworms for bribes/treats to get her in her cage. I drop them in her food bowl and then we play a game of how-quick-can-I-get-a-mealworm-and-can-Mum-shut-the-cage-in-time! Sometimes I have to shut the cage, give her another 10-15 minutes then wiggle to food bowl in front of her to remind her they're there and try again. I don't allow her free access to her cage when she is out and she doesn't get food while she is out so she will be hungry.

I can handle my Alex, but when he doesn't want to go in he won't! I have spent a few nights with him out, but the room is always secure before he comes out so I worry, but he's not at risk. If he's out all night I leave the cage open, but there's no food in there because I feed him in the morning and he's always finished by the evening. I'll feed him in the morning as usual and he usually goes in pretty quickly. I find he's worse if I haven't given him the out of cage time he needs the previous day. He's also target trained, which works brilliantly. He will follow the target into the cage 9/10 times - apart from when he's stubborn.

I've never kept my birds in their cages all the time, even when they weren't at all tame. I've generally relied on patience and access to food to get them back in.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My African Ringnecks love to come out of their cage but we can't handle them yet,we've had them since Dec. And they have been out 3 times,we have to catch them with a towel to put them back in....its stressful but they seem less scared everytime,so my question is should we not let them out until we can hold them? They are so happy when their out of their cage

It would be best if you provided an adapted environment where none of this "manhandling" of your birds is necessary. They can't change anything. You can.

hope86

Sitting on the front steps
I just asked the same question about my 2 cockatiels. I had to grab them to put them back in the cage the first time I let them out, they've been without food and water for 7.5 hours. We currently have a guest crashing on our couch for a few days so I'll be letting them out again as soon as our guest leaves.

This time around I'll give them more time to get back in the cage. I also bought a perch stand to put in front of the cage door and short perches I can put on the outside of the cage to help them get back in through the door. I don't think they know how to.

Here's the link to my thread, maybe some of the responses I got will help you.

Jeanbets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
PROGRESS!!!! We let them out yesterday....around 5pm I put their favorite food inside their cage and every half hour i would show them where it was by 8pm they found their way back in the cage!!! Happy as can be we didn't have to stress them out!!!!
I made sure Not to feed them outside the cage

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
PROGRESS!!!! We let them out yesterday....around 5pm I put their favorite food inside their cage and every half hour i would show them where it was by 8pm they found their way back in the cage!!! Happy as can be we didn't have to stress them out!!!!
I made sure Not to feed them outside the cage

awesome!!!

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I have an African Ringneck too they are beautiful birds...congrats on getting them to go in & out on their own.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Hi Jeanbets;

I got an African Ringneck in January, I understand what you are going through. Do you mind if I ask you where you got your bird from? If you prefer you can send me a PM...Thanks-Denice