• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not that I am looking but....

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am always window shopping!

There is a Mealy Amazon in my town that is looking for a new home. The owner claims the bird is approximately 20 and has only been with them 6 months. They wand $500 and say the the bird has never been handled but pictures show him/her on top of a play cage, so s/he obviously comes out of the cage.

I have read that Mealy's are loud but generally gentle (of course I am very wary of the never been handled part and wonder what exactly that means - I sent an email asking for more information) I actually do not mind if a bird just wants to be a bird as long they will step up for practical reasons and not eat me alive.

I work full time and would not want to upset the balance of my two bonded green cheeks but I am still very curious since the bird is literally down the street. I may ask to visit but for now can any one offer a run down on Mealy's?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I love mealies! Maybe @macawpower58 will chime in. Becky has one. The ones I've met haven't been noisy (frequency of vocalization), but they could be loud when they sounded off. I think they're vastly unappreciated.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Love my Mealy! I've had mine since about 6 months old, he's now 19.

And yes he is LOUD . And he is a BUZZSAW. Nothing in my house is safe from my jolly green giant's beak.

He's not much for cuddling or being held, but loves company, and singing (off tune), and dancing, and chewing wood. Did I mention he likes wood?

Easy going, sassy and funny. Wears his emotions on his sleeve, very easy to read.

Allows pets and such on his own terms and his own time limits. He makes certain I know the rules! ;)

Petting only at bed, and only for 1 minute and 37.5 seconds.

He's a blast.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Love my Mealy! I've had mine since about 6 months old, he's now 19.

And yes he is LOUD . And he is a BUZZSAW. Nothing in my house is safe from my jolly green giant's beak.

He's not much for cuddling or being held, but loves company, and singing (off tune), and dancing, and chewing wood. Did I mention he likes wood?

Easy going, sassy and funny. Wears his emotions on his sleeve, very easy to read.

Allows pets and such on his own terms and his own time limits. He makes certain I know the rules! ;)

Petting only at bed, and only for 1 minute and 37.5 seconds.

He's a blast.
OMG! I think I'm in love! LOL! How much does he weigh? My Abigail YCA is my biggest bird at 490 now...she's lost just a little more weight. She LOVES to be scritched anywhere on the head anytime. She doesn't sing but loves to be sung to!:)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm not sure what he weighs, but he's big heavy bodied bird. He dwarfed my sister's Blue Front.

Also, mine is a very easy keeper. He'll not roam from his cage unless encouraged. He's the only one that could be out 24/7 and not get in trouble. (at least all most never)

Of my 3 birds, Solomon pretty much takes care of himself.
All I need to is supply wood to chew, and a music box for him to play.

He's not the smartest cookie in the Jar (my Too and Macaw way outsmart him), and it took him a couple of weeks to figure out how to get the music he loves, to come out of that box.

Good thing the music isn't irritating, he plays it all day long!

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you are still interested in this bird (I'd take it in a heartbeat), this link is to a thread about Solomon. Lots of photos. One shows his size next to a smaller Green Cheeked Amazon.

Mealy Magic | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
He is gorgeous! I emailed the owner yesterday but have not heard anything back yet. Would definitely like more details from the owner

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Any word on the amazon?

@macawpower58 I was wondering about the music box...do you have a pic of it?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, it doesnt hurt to send another email. I am living vicariously through you by the way. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Any word on the amazon?

@macawpower58 I was wondering about the music box...do you have a pic of it?

Just got home. I'll take a photo tomorrow.

My bird music boxes are just children's toys. I've gone through quite a few. Both my Amazon and my Macaw like them.

Solomon (Zon) doesn't trash his, so I can hang it in the cage.
Chaos (Macaw) would totally trash his, and the battery would be dangerous, so he must have one that I can hang outside the cage. He hits the buttons through the bars.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@macawpower58 Thank you! I'm hoping it's something a caique might like! :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my vet sent me pics of a yellow headed amazon that another vet is rehoming. I couldn't take him though. No time or space. Though when she did a home visit she said I had plenty of space for more birds! She sent out the pics to her best bird home clients, so hopefully someone else can take him.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Oh my! Look at all that Too powder on Solomon's bars. Solomon hits the buttons and gets his music, here I asked him to play for me.

074.JPG

Chaos plays too, but nowhere near like Solomon does. He won't do it just because I ask, he has to be in the mood.
His is outside the cage, Chaos would tear it apart. And no Toos near Chaos!

Both are just toddler toys.

076.JPG

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj