• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Travel with birds

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
hi everyone,

I was wondering if any if you have traveled with your bird(s), but like backpacking. The idea has been playing through my mind, but that Will be after my study, so at least 5 years ahead. I am now training my lovebird to accept the aviator and she soon Will get a friend who Will also be harness trained. Would it be possible after extensive training? There are a lot of dangers though, so I think right know that I should leave them behind for their own safety. I Will leave them with a sort of sitter(Maybe someone I know) who Will give them the best care and who had earned my trust, and the trust of the birds of course.

I think the Main problems would be where I would change their harnesses and the dangers on the road(would mostly travel by foot but I mean wild animals, other people and other dangers). I am vegan so they could eat with me, but of course I would also take their own food. Then there are also diplomatic issues, like crossing the borders.

I would love to hear if Anyone of you has experience doing Something like this. There also is a small chance that I Will get a camper with a friend and travel like that, i think that would be a lot safer wouldn't it?

Thanks in advance!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Interesting idea! I've never done it; just wanted to see what others think.

Big question: you really want to try this with two birds? And two birds who don't already have years of trust, compatibility and time together?

I'd just stick with the one for many reasons, including the small confines of space they'll have to deal with, whether that's limited space on your arm/body, or a carrier.

Good luck!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
They dont know each other yet but they Will meet in a month or so, and then we Will still have five years to build trust and prepare ourselves so hopefully Everything Will work out, I Will take them on small trips once I am sure of their training and make them slightly longer each time to see how thing work out! I am excited but also a little nervous to do this though

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O I also Forgot to mention it is About a loverbird, and if I get her a buddy two loverbirds, so I think space won't be a huge problem as it would be with langer parrots.

G

Genie

Our Genie goes everywhere with us. When we did 11 states in 7 weeks, he really enjoyed it. He rode on a perch on the dash of our motorhome & enjoyed the view.
We travelled by back roads, not freeways. He would sit on our arm/shoulder, when we went hiking.
By all means, take your buddy with you.

Genie in Wyoming.png

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
What a lovely photo @Genie. So beautiful and so is the parront!! Everyone looks happy

I believe they have parrot backpacks too.
Celltei Pak-o-Bird Backpack Style Bird Travel Carrier | DrsFosterSmith.com

I recently saw one on craigslist that had been "slightly" used. I know our guys like spending time outside and going on car trips in their travel cages but Carmen and Diablo are about 5 inches each and too small. Maybe if I had a larger parrot but my parrotlets are so tiny I'd be too worried without a carrier. Maybe if I had a larger bird like Genie, but not with my tiny fellows.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Our Genie goes everywhere with us. When we did 11 states in 7 weeks, he really enjoyed it. He rode on a perch on the dash of our motorhome & enjoyed the view.
We travelled by back roads, not freeways. He would sit on our arm/shoulder, when we went hiking.
By all means, take your buddy with you.

View attachment 258544
I love this, that is awesome! Where did you stay during your travels? Did you sleep in a tent, hotel or did you have a kind of bus? I still plan on travelling with them(if they are ready and I think they Will like it of course) and have worked my plan out a bit more now!:)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What a lovely photo @Genie. So beautiful and so is the parront!! Everyone looks happy

I believe they have parrot backpacks too.
Celltei Pak-o-Bird Backpack Style Bird Travel Carrier | DrsFosterSmith.com

I recently saw one on craigslist that had been "slightly" used. I know our guys like spending time outside and going on car trips in their travel cages but Carmen and Diablo are about 5 inches each and too small. Maybe if I had a larger parrot but my parrotlets are so tiny I'd be too worried without a carrier. Maybe if I had a larger bird like Genie, but not with my tiny fellows.
I think I am going to use Something like that, but I am still worried that it might not work so I Will start with short trips. I want to have them to be very very very used to their harnesses and have them station perfectly in their travel cage/backpack before I Will even attempt to do this, we still have a long way to go but if it works out I think it would be awesome. Celltei also has a kind of backpacks for your shoulder, Maybe I am going to get one of those as well:hehe:

G

Genie

I love this, that is awesome! Where did you stay during your travels? Did you sleep in a tent, hotel or did you have a kind of bus? I still plan on travelling with them(if they are ready and I think they Will like it of course) and have worked my plan out a bit more now!:)
We are mostly dry campers, we travel in a big motorhome, but stay off grid.
I don't want to overwhelm this thread, so I will post only a couple of photo's.
Point is, we really don't know what our birds like, but I am willing to bet that travel is interesting to them.
Genie seems to really like mountain roads, he leans into the curves & looks at the trees a lot.

I hope these photos give you a good idea of how your bird(s) can enjoy travelling.

This is where he sits, his perch is not on the dash for this photo.
He gets a "Bird's eye view" !!

IMG_0104.JPG

Here, at a truck stop, Genie gets off his perch & goes to the window to look at the trucks. he does this a lot, wherever we stop.
This indicates to us that he is, at least curious, & at best, is enjoying the trip.

IMG_0088 (Medium).JPG

Here we are taking a break.

IMG_0103 (Medium).JPG

We take Genie everywhere he is allowed.

IMG_0052 (Medium).JPG

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
@Genie thank you so much for posting the photos!! I would love it if you could post more! Please create a new thread and post all of your photos! I want to see as it makes me so happy to see both of you!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I traveled over 30,000mi. with Hank and Jasper in our motor home (I'm much too old and stiff to lie on the ground). Like Genie they loved it. Their cage, a full sized macaw cage was next to a window and they spent all of the travel time looking out the window or napping. Now and then while driving down the road, when Hank would see something amazing (to him), he would turn toward Jasper and squawk as if saying, "Look at that".

Attachments

G

Genie

I traveled over 30,000mi. with Hank and Jasper in our motor home (I'm much too old and stiff to lie on the ground). Like Genie they loved it. Their cage, a full sized macaw cage was next to a window and they spent all of the travel time looking out the window or napping. Now and then while driving down the road, when Hank would see something amazing (to him), he would turn toward Jasper and squawk as if saying, "Look at that".
That IS HOW IT'S DONE !! I too am old, 75, but still enjoying life AND we want to enjoy life with our Genie.

GENIE AT CRATERS OF THE MOON.JPG

G

Genie

Gawd, Hank & Jasper are gorgeous !!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Oh Lordy!! What a FANTASTIC PHOTO!!! Those colors!! Hank and Jasper are so cute!! I can't get enough photos of these beautiful birds! Brings me back so many good memories of growing up! Thank you so much! I can't get enough!

YOU GUYS ARE SO WONDERFUL!!! The colors make me so happy! Their cute faces! Don't get me started on their toes. I'm so in love with their toes.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner