• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bourke Body Language

Kales

Meeting neighbors
Hello all,
Here is my little tame guy!
I just had a few questions on Bourke behavior. Do they show that they are happy much like a budgie would?
Its hard to find info on their body language.
My little fella will puff up the feathers around his beak in what I call his "walrus look" and gride his beak. Is this signs of a happy bird??
Also just suddenly he will start to do a few head bobs. He doesn't do this in his cage that I have seen, but when he is out socializing with us. Its just a few head bobs and we figure its just him being silly??
Any incite would be great!

EbonyMemory

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ebony
I can't help you much on the body language, but oh my gosh your little guy is so adorable! :xflove:

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Hello all,
Here is my little tame guy!
I just had a few questions on Bourke behavior. Do they show that they are happy much like a budgie would?
Its hard to find info on their body language.
My little fella will puff up the feathers around his beak in what I call his "walrus look" and gride his beak. Is this signs of a happy bird??
Also just suddenly he will start to do a few head bobs. He doesn't do this in his cage that I have seen, but when he is out socializing with us. Its just a few head bobs and we figure its just him being silly??
Any incite would be great!

I can't help you much on the body language, but oh my gosh your little guy is so adorable! :xflove:
same here! He is so cute!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Monica may be able to help you.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
AFAIK puffed feathers around the beak and beak grinding mean "I'm content right now" for all parrots, doesn't it? George does these things when he's happy.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Agree that he's content and happy when his beak feathers are puffed out and he's grinding his beak.

As far as the head bob, this could be a few different things, depending on the rest of the behavior and how he does it.

Kales

Meeting neighbors
Agree that he's content and happy when his beak feathers are puffed out and he's grinding his beak.

As far as the head bob, this could be a few different things, depending on the rest of the behavior and how he does it.
I can try to get a video of it. It tends to be when his feathers around his beak are puffed up and he paddling around walking on us.

Thanks everyone!

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Pockets fluffs his head and cheek feathers, as well as some of the rest of his body, when he's happy. Grinding his beak means he's a happy bird!

Typically he only bobs his head as a minor dominance display - sometimes followed by more pronounced head bobbing and hopping around. Hope this helps!