• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Starlings

Strider

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
A friend found some abandoned starlings in her barn and is giving them to me tomorrow. I have no experience with baby birds. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I be concerned about disease spreading to my parakeets?

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Yes. Don't keep the birds inside. Keep them safe somewhere outside. And always wash your hands thoroughly. I wouldn't risk it personally but if you must do it, they would probably do well with baby parrot mash with some extra protein mixed in as starlings eat a lot of bugs (they are omnivorous). Once they wean you can transfer them over to bugs, seed, etc. Try to avoid food they'll never find in the wild like pellets.

I really don't know what kind of chances human raised starlings would have in the wild.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
A friend found some abandoned starlings in her barn and is giving them to me tomorrow. I have no experience with baby birds. Any advice would be appreciated. Should I be concerned about disease spreading to my parakeets?
Bring them to a wildlife rehabilitator! It's safest for the starlings (raising young birds, especially the fragile songbirds, is very complicated, and there's a large chance of death to the babies unless done by someone more experienced), and it's dangerous to your parakeets as well, as desieses can spread. Where are you located? I'm a beginning wildlife rehabber of small mammals, and I would love to help you find one if you like (if on the off chance you live in Maine/NH, I'd be happy to transport to a bird rehabber!) Hope everything works out :)

How to Find a Wildlife Rehabilitator : The Humane Society of the United States