• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Belly Male

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
1 Male Red Belly (Buddy) - pets

This person has a red belly, and he looks like such a pretty bird. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? 5 years old and not tame but once was. What do you guys think I could do in order to make him tame again? Are these guys cuddlers or are they more independent? I mostly just am wondering if I can get him tame and not hand shy.

Edit: would a 24" long 32" high 16 1/2" wide and 1/2" bar spacing cage be good for him?

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See if you can get more info on the bird. Find out if he was ever vet checked and if there is any paperwork. Get more info on background history. Why are they rehoming?
As for cage size 16 1/2 inch depth is too small and better to get a wider cage, rather than a taller one.
As for cuddling vs independent... Some of mine can be nippy and some are very sweet. I would consider that all of mine are independent since they are OK doing their own thing. Even with the independence they still enjoy interaction and some of mine love to be held and sit with me. They are very intelligent and also can be very silly.
Taming: You would have to be patient with him. Some red-bellies can be a bit skittish/fearful. The best thing to do is to probably go check him out if you are interested.
Of course realize that he may not get along with Rascal and that you will need to quarantine him for @30-45 days.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I live in the cities, and was tempted by the same ad! No worries; I don't intend to add a bird to my household.

He is a handsome bird. I have no experience with the species, but I agree that a bigger cage would be more ideal.

Good luck!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you get him let us know. He looks like a handsome guy. Hopefully he can find a wonderful home.
I am very partial to red-bellies.

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden
See if you can get more info on the bird. Find out if he was ever vet checked and if there is any paperwork. Get more info on background history. Why are they rehoming?
As for cage size 16 1/2 inch depth is too small and better to get a wider cage, rather than a taller one.
As for cuddling vs independent... Some of mine can be nippy and some are very sweet. I would consider that all of mine are independent since they are OK doing their own thing. Even with the independence they still enjoy interaction and some of mine love to be held and sit with me. They are very intelligent and also can be very silly.
Taming: You would have to be patient with him. Some red-bellies can be a bit skittish/fearful. The best thing to do is to probably go check him out if you are interested.
Of course realize that he may not get along with Rascal and that you will need to quarantine him for @30-45 days.
Rascal passed away recently, so that won't be an issue...