• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bile Acid Test?

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Is that checking the liver? I'm supposed to call the vet to discuss the blood results Monday but I don't know what they all mean. Bite Acid is 77.2 and should be 0-50, WBC (white blood count?) is 16 and should be 4-11. All else is normal.

He'll be 12 in November, YSGCC. He's been taking the milk thistle the past few weeks to see if it helped. He gets both pellets and seeds, veggies, rice and some fruit. He's a bit overweight (82 grams), has been for the past few years - which is strange 'cause the young one keeps chasing him off the food and I don't see him eat too often.

I was going to ask about anything dietary that would help (add or take away) or if I should get a prescription? I'm not sure what else I should ask about so Please let me know what to ask about or find out.

I'm trying not to freak out...not working. Plus I'm sick and getting a migraine so I most likely won't look for answer 'till tomorrow. So... thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions. I appreciate any help on what to look out for. This board is such a lifesaver for so many reasons, even if it's just to know there are others neurotic about their birds.:scared6:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think you might mean bile acid. Sorry I can't be more help with the rest of it. Try not to worry too much until you can speak to your vet. :hug8:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
This may be helpful in interpreting lab results.
file:///C:/Users/hlfse/Downloads/Understanding-Avian-Laboratory-Tests%20(1).pdf

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Yes it's checking the liver. An increase could be caused by a couple things, did the vet have you do a fast before the sample?

The increased white count could also be a couple things. at 16,000 it's only mildly elevated and could be stress during the exam, or potentially inflammation. The distribution of types of white blood cells can tell you what's going on in your bird as well.

What I would really recommend is taking a deep breath, DO NOT look things up online, and chat with your vet to see what they recommend next.