• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure behavior problems and bonding help?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
So about a week ago I got an 8 year old cinnamon green cheek conure (from a rescue) who is wonderfully sweet, however I am a new parrot owner and was unprepared for some of the behavior problems she has (they didn't really show up in a shelter environment). She refuses to step up quite often, and if I try to gently raise my finger she will scream loudly and give a hard nip. I'm afraid I might of reinforced this, as I would then scratch her head in her favorite spot because I wanted to interact with her, even though she didn't feel like being picked up.

She never comes to me for attention and interaction, and seems quite aloof (I mean, she's only known me for a week). She tolerates some snuggles and head scratches, but that's it. She will back away from my finger whenever I ask her to step up, and she will not even accept her favorite treat from my hand.

However, she will scream for attention if I leave the room she's in, and there's a large glass door with a clear viewpoint into the kitchen so she can clearly see me and is not happy if I leave her room for the kitchen, even if she was just crouching with her head lowered and making herself look as unapproachable as possible.

If I leave for a few hours and put her in her (large, toy filled) cage, when I come back she's screaming angrily and climbing all over the door to try and get out. I've never seen her play with toys, and as she didn't have many toys in her previous home, I was thinking maybe she doesn't know how to play with them? The shelter gave her the toys she had months ago, they aren't new. I give her hours and hours of time out of the cage, but I'm going to start school this fall, and if she can't handle me being away for 2-3 hours, how will she handle 6-8? (I'm homeschooled at the moment).

She's very bitey and unpredictable, one minute she's loving the head scratches and the next minute she's yelling and nipping. She's already drawn blood twice!

Anyway, I'm waayyy out of my experience zone, and I don't know what to do. Should I bring her back to the shelter? I would hate to do that, as I want things to work out with us, but she just really doesn't seem happy here. I mean, I got her because she was super sweet at the shelter and I was hoping to bypass the whole "teenager" stage, but I'm afraid I was sorely mistaken. She is a really sweet bird, and I really care about her, but I don't know how I can manage her behavior problems. I mean, it's only been a week!

What should I do?

Thanks so much for the help, I'm really in need of it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You should step back and take a breath. Her entire world has been uprooted. She's in a new place with a lot of new things to take in. She is used to lots of noise from the shelter I'm guessing.

She's telling you she's interested in a friendship but you are moving too fast. Go slowly. The harder you push, the more you hurt your relationship to start. Give her space and let her set the pace.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
You should step back and take a breath. Her entire world has been uprooted. She's in a new place with a lot of new things to take in. She is used to lots of noise from the shelter I'm guessing.

She's telling you she's interested in a friendship but you are moving too fast. Go slowly. The harder you push, the more you hurt your relationship to start. Give her space and let her set the pace.

Okay, thank you, I just have very, very little experience to go on with parrots! I help my local shelter socialize their bunnies, and I'm used to reading a bunnies ears and body postures, but of course parrots are wildly different!

I noticed she was crouching with her wings up and kind of quivering today when I came in after leaving for a few hours to work on schoolwork, what I took from it is that she wanted to be let out of her cage? She was not fearful or aggressive...

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Here is a website for you to look at ...the webinars on here are very helpful and should give you a very good start Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots and 2. Train Your Parrot to Step Up ...best of luck with your lil one :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ditto the link that was posted!!! GREAT STUFF!

She refuses to step up quite often, and if I try to gently raise my finger she will scream loudly and give a hard nip. I'm afraid I might of reinforced this, as I would then scratch her head in her favorite spot because I wanted to interact with her, even though she didn't feel like being picked up.
Why not teach her to step up for a head scratch then? Any movement towards you, reward with a head scratch! If she touches your hand with a nail or even a toe, more head scratches!

Turn that failure around into something good! :D

She never comes to me for attention and interaction, and seems quite aloof (I mean, she's only known me for a week). She tolerates some snuggles and head scratches, but that's it. She will back away from my finger whenever I ask her to step up, and she will not even accept her favorite treat from my hand.
Maybe the reward isn't that great? Or perhaps she's full? Try training first thing in the morning before she's eaten... or perhaps try placing the treat down for her to pick up? Or maybe try offering it via a spoon? Try different rewards? Might need to change her diet if seeds aren't a high enough value. Put her on a (temporary) pelleted diet.

However, she will scream for attention if I leave the room she's in, and there's a large glass door with a clear viewpoint into the kitchen so she can clearly see me and is not happy if I leave her room for the kitchen, even if she was just crouching with her head lowered and making herself look as unapproachable as possible.

Does she do anything if you leave the cage door open and walk away?

If I leave for a few hours and put her in her (large, toy filled) cage, when I come back she's screaming angrily and climbing all over the door to try and get out. I've never seen her play with toys, and as she didn't have many toys in her previous home, I was thinking maybe she doesn't know how to play with them? The shelter gave her the toys she had months ago, they aren't new. I give her hours and hours of time out of the cage, but I'm going to start school this fall, and if she can't handle me being away for 2-3 hours, how will she handle 6-8?
Can you hide treats inside of her toys? This can help make it more rewarding for her to interact and play with her toys. Feed less in her bowl and hide food throughout the cage for her to forage and find!

She's very bitey and unpredictable, one minute she's loving the head scratches and the next minute she's yelling and nipping. She's already drawn blood twice!
Time, patience and learning to trust. Try to back off before she gets loud and nippy!

Anyway, I'm waayyy out of my experience zone, and I don't know what to do. Should I bring her back to the shelter? I would hate to do that, as I want things to work out with us, but she just really doesn't seem happy here. I mean, I got her because she was super sweet at the shelter and I was hoping to bypass the whole "teenager" stage, but I'm afraid I was sorely mistaken. She is a really sweet bird, and I really care about her, but I don't know how I can manage her behavior problems. I mean, it's only been a week!
She has the potential to live for 20+ years, so a week isn't very long at all...