• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sunny's thread

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I find it so hard to understand how our lovely Sunny got left to be adopted out. Last owners said he was a biter however I see a bird who has been perfectly trained to bluff and make threats, by that same owner that left him behind. eg Sunny screech and put out the beak as a threat, and last owners backed of, reinforcing the behaviour. I haven't forced Sunny to do anything since he moved in, he now comes to me and steps up when asked rather then me trying to force him to be in contact with me. I can actually see a reduction in this behaviour already. However if he for some reason screech, and try to threaten me, I calmly continue with what Im doing calls him a silly boy have a laugh and now he stops a lot faster. He has grabbed my fingers a few times and he is remarkably gentle, in other words even though he sound like he might be ready to kill there is no real intent. I know it's early days however I think His trust in me is slowly growing. He is a talker but not really sure about all he is saying. (He is mumbeling long sentances) I can make out hello boy, wat and bye bye. All my most special animals have all been adopted. I had this boy for a very short time but he has already won my heart :heart: oh and he loves popcorn IMG_5222.JPG IMG_5214.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think people so often have the misperception that a bird in a rescue must be a problem bird. Not true. They just need the right home/right owner. It sounds like Sunny was fortunate enough to find his. :)

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I find it really heartwarming to read about birds who find the right home after having been misunderstood. It sounds as if he's settled in brilliantly - you must be very proud of him. I hope he continues to flourish. He's very handsome!
Thank you for your kind words. Sunny is so awesome , right now he decided to snuggle in under my tshirt and is resting his head on my chest. He just want to be close :heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He's beautiful:xflove:Thank you for giving him a home:)

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I actually think I can see a difference in his apperence too, he looks more switched on and less apprehensive about everything. This picture is from our from our breakfast together. I had 2 breakfasts one with evil twins and one with this guy. IMG_5228.JPG

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Time for an update and all is good, Sunny is fitting in well and he is talking up a storm. Everyday is a display of a new word or sound. He now copy if I laugh or cough as well as making kissing sounds. His favourite words however are f""k, and f""k it and he also make sounds like a beer bottle opening (I didnt teach him this). He allows my room mate to handle him with my supervison and instruction, he needs to be able to as I sometime go away for work. We never pressure Sunny to do anything he doesn't want too, and trust is building Rapidly. He loves his food so its easy to bribe him and yeah he is just as good at making a mess as the evil twins. :blink: IMG_5236.JPG

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Sunny is adorable! And a lucky boy to have found such a loving home with you! :)
He sure is adorable, he had his first proper shower today, he has been with me in the shower each morning since I got him, I have sprinkeled him with water however today he was playing with the water coming from the shower. He also rolled over on his back in my lap yesterday playing with my fingers (nibbling them in a none aggressive way, while I scrached his tummy) so many first together.:heart:

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
It's great to hear how well he's doing - he sounds like a real sweetheart! He's just blossoming, isn't he - he must be a happy bird. I love how his vocabulary and sound effects give you a glimpse into his past - I wonder if he'll surprise you with any other choice words!

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
Well now he has added f""k off, not that it bothers me, I use the f word a lot myself, however I know I haven't used it in the context Sunny does he is swearing up a storm. :wacky: Today he took another proper shower, and he starting to fly :heart: to me and from me to his cage. He doesnt always make it the full distance but atleast he is getting the confidence up to keep practicing, which is great. (His wings has just grown out from always being clipt). IMG_5256.JPG

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
Aw - he looks adorable, great photo! Can't help but smile, wet birds always look so comical to me. Very rewarding for you to see him make such good progress - it must be hard not to laugh when he swears his little head off, though!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I find it so hard to understand how our lovely Sunny got left to be adopted out. Last owners said he was a biter however I see a bird who has been perfectly trained to bluff and make threats, by that same owner that left him behind.
There are no bad birds. Just bad owners. Literally.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
:omg: :blahblah:latest sounds added are a copy of the wild too's flying over the house in the morning and in the evening. Seriusly I never had a talker before do they usually pick up this quickly? (In saying this he might have known all these things before I got him). Btw its awesome the way they put context to things, sunny was sitting on top of his cage having a popcorn, he dropped the last bit and it fell into his cage. He looks down into the cage loudly says F""K before starting to climb down and into the cage to get the rest. Sometimes its hard not to laugh...it might have been a coincidence however it was so on que.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Better be good friends with Walgreens!! Valentine chews every t shirt I have so off to Walgreens I go to get replacements.