• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bald parakeet with yellow skin?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
hi everyone,

Someone I don't really know asked for my help because she has two parakeets and one of them is plucked/bald on the chest. But the parakeet is quite old and flies around the house but is not tame, and it is quite a drive to an avian vetenarian, 2 hours, and she is afraid it Will cause her more stress. She has taken her to a vetenarian close by who had reasenable knowledge of birds but he didn't know what was wrong but I dont trust his judgement. I suggested quite Some things, of course plucking out of boredom and all. However she has the idea that Something is irritating his skin, with now is a sort of yellowish. She can't spot any small mites, and the other parakeet is not suffering the same symptoms. Could it be Something with the liver? Or does Anyone have any ideas? I am currently trying to help her improve their diet so Maybe that Will help as well, and I am giving her toy and foraging ideas.

Kind bird screams from here in the Netherlands

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Well honestly tell her to just drive the 2 hours. It's really not that bad, if she really wants to help her bird. But consedring s/he is old while and we don't live in a perfect world it might not be a good finical desicion. It's really up to your friend how much she cares and is willing to spend on her bird. I know I'm kind of being a debbie-downer, hopefully someone with more experience can come on. Can you provide a picture?

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My avian vet is 2 hours away, the drive isn't that bad just inconvenient. See if your friend can do a phone consultation with the vet and see what they think and then make a plan. That's what I would suggest. It could be a number of factors, a vet can help pinpoint possible causes and determine what is and isn't a priority depending on the budget and means of transportation.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah i totally agree with you, but the thing is I don't really know her I was looking for a rescue bird and we 'met' online. She says she had already done a consult over the phone with an avian vetenarian and she sent her medicine for wormes and live but it didn't help. The bird has been bald for quite Some time now, so I personally think the bird is plucking because only Feathers on the chest are missing, but well I have never seen the bird and there are probably a thousand Reasons why this could happenI think I Will just tell her to take the stress and bring the bird to an avian vetenarian though because that would obviously be the best thing, though if Anyone has other suggestions they are very welcome!^^

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I really do not know of any avian vet that would prescribe a medication without seeing the bird in person. I doubt her story to you. She needs to drive the drive.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Telling her to just "bite the bullet" and take her bird to the vet is the best thing.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you, I think that is what I needed^^ this can be closed, i have made up my mind about this! Thank you all!

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Budgies aren't likely to pluck, but they are likely to get fatty tumors and fatty liver problems as they get older. Liver issues can cause the yellowing skin and a tumor might give the appearance of a featherless patch.
While a vet visit is a good idea to look at his health, there is likely not much the vet can do.
Fatty tumors are painless and not cancerous, the danger is simply if they get big enough to start to ulcerate and bleed or if the tumors form in organs. Fatty liver likewise can't really be treated except to try to offer a lower fat diet.
Milk thistle is known to help the liver heal in humans and is safe, so it's often given to birds with liver problems as well. You might want to ask the vet about giving him some milk thistle supplement if he has liver problems.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
WoW thank you so much! I Will certainly tell her right away, I think this is what is going on with her Budgie altough I am not a vet of course. I also know a compant that makes a special sees mix for small birds with a liver disease, hopefully that Will help.