• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight cage questions

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Ok so what is the precise definition of a "flight cage" please? I see that term thrown around a lot but not sure exactly what it means less the obvious break down of the two words. Is it referring to a specific type of cage? Or perhaps a specific geometry? Or perhaps a specific size that facilitates exercise in the cage? Or perhaps all the above and its just a general term for BIG cage that allows your fid to stretch its wings? Thanks!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
A flight cage is generally wider than it is tall. I have a flight cage for each of my birds since the family works during the day. Gotta keep those guys moving.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would describe a flight cage as a big box that is wider than it is long. Usually you access the feeding dishes from the outside. There is lots of room for toys and wing flapping and the price is usually less because it leaves the bells and whistle decorations up to you. I think they are a bird's bird cage. For the last 15 years I have only had flight cages.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
@Lady Jane How do your budgies do climbing around in the flight cage? I chose one by King's and I really love the size but I'm a bit concerned that the mostly vertical bars will be hard for a smaller bird to climb on.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks everyone for the replies. That's what I figured they were, but glad to hear some confirmation. Thanks!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I love flight cages. They are generally a big cage with a great price. What I also like is that they are usually on a high stand which puts up higher for me to see easier. I am 6'2 and cannot stand short cages I have to bend to look in.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
At first my budgies fell often but they were babies in their first cage. Now one of them climbs across the vertical bars with no problem. Mickey is younger and does not usually climb anywhere. I padded the cage floor with towels under newspaper print but not any more.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
Mine climb on the vertical bars just fine. I have a medium sized cage, and the birds rarely climb on the sides with the horizontal bars.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My cage has no horizontal bars.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
It's great to hear that @Lady Jane and @SamandWilley! I'm going to try the padding for the first bit in case there are some falls :) Good advice.
I'm in the "worry about every tiny thing" stage haha!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I suppose in general, a flight cage is one big enough for a bird to fly in a little - bigger than a normal cage, smaller than an aviary.

However, it's most commonly used to refer to a 32x21" cage that is is marketed as a flight cage. Several different manufacturers all make "flight cages" of virtually identical dimensions. The dimensions seem arbitrary but perhaps chosen to reduce shipping costs. In any case, they are popular because they are a good size for most smaller species, while still being easy to fit into the home, ans have a nice simple design making them practical, easy to clean, and cheap to ship. Basically just a nice quality, practical cage that you can usually get at a very reasonable price (in the US anyway). However, despite the name. these cages aren't really true 'flight cage' for anything bigger than about budgie size. They are great cages for many birds that are bigger than budgies, like cockatiels and smaller conures, they just won't really have room to fly in them. For birds that are out part of the day, that is fine though.