• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

diet without pellets/fresh veggies

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I have a question about diet. my birds aren't very good veggie eaters. I also work fulltime and cannot feed fresh during the day, i can only rovide fresh in the evening and they will spoil most of it and fling it out the cage. I have parrotlets.

they do love their sprouted seeds. do you think a diet with these ingredients can be complete:

-aviseed sproutmix: Ingredients: Yellow millet, safflower seed, wheat, japanese millet, mung beans, niger seed, rapeseed, white dari, hemp seed, red milo, buckwheat, sesame seed, quinoa seed.

-aviseed dry seedmix: Ingredients: Canary seed, white millet, yellow millet, paddy rice, japanese millet, safflower seed, grass seed, peeled oats, hemp seed, red millet, yellow panicum, buckwheat, flax seed, niger seed, rose hip seed, sesame seed, white dari, pine seed, barley, mung beans, clover seed, marian thistle seed, red milo, red panicum, white perilla, rape seed, radish seed, spinach seed

-easyyem herba: Composition: Nettle, fennel, shepherd purse, sage, yarrow, ribwort. thyme, chickweed, wormwood.

-easyyem plant: Composition: Broccoli, carrots, white cabbage, spinach, courgette, bell pepper.

-easyyem spirulina

-Egg food for parakeets CeDe:
an ideal feed supplement, which are not only good grain mixture in an amount appropriate to the circumstances must be administered.

Materials:
Bakery products, eggs and egg products, sugar, seeds, vegetable protein extracts, oils and fats, minerals.

Ingredients:

Crude 16% Vitamin A 19 500 IU
Fat 6.5% Vitamin D3 2,000 IU
Fiber 4.2% Vitamin E 30mg
Moisture 11% Vitamin K 2mg
Ash 5% Vitamin B1 12mg
Calcium 0.9% Vitamin B2 38mg
Phosphorus 0.4% Vitamin B3 55mg
Sodium 0.5% Vitamin PP 100mg
Magnesium 0.01% Vitamin B6 1.75 mg
Choline 210 mg Vitamin B12 0.07 mg
Folic Acid 6.8 mg Vitamin H 0.38 mg
Manganese 80mg Vitamin C 4mg
Zinc 58 mg Cobalt 1.8 mg
Copper 5mg Iron 29 mg
Calcium 1.2 mg

do you think this diet can provide all the needed nutrients? in what amounts should all these stuff be fed?

BeeBop

Mmm.. I'm not an expert in what percentages you need. But I am impressed that you got those percentages :D (if I may ask how or where did you do that?). Ok I need to ask you a few questions:
1. Are you going to cook the rice/beans?
2. What is their main food? (hard to tell)
3. I'm confused by what you mean by "easyyem plant/eassyem spurlina" what is that? Is it a ground up mix or something?
4. Are some of these going to be mashes/chops? (non-essential question I know but I want to better grasp what your doing)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
An all seed diet is not complete and actually quite fatty.
i can only rovide fresh in the evening and they will spoil most of it and fling it out the cage. I have parrotlets.
What's wrong with that? Food does not "spoil" during a feeding time? It only spoils if you leave it there.

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
The eassyem products are dehydrated veggies and herbs.they can be fed soaked or dry. The product Cede eggfood contains the vitamins and minerals as showed in the first post.
It will ad some proteins,vitamins and minerals to the diet.
The aviseed mixes are two different mixes.one is a seedmix for sprouting,the other one is a dry (low fat) seed mix.

I was thinking about feeding 50% sprouted stuff, 25% dehydrated veggies and herbs.
10% eggfood and 15% dryseeds.
Fresh veggies will also be offered,but i know they hardly eat them.that is why i would like to provide this as a base diet.
I will also add calcivet for extra calcium.

BeeBop

Uh-oh I don't like the sound of 50% sprouts. That's gotta be way lacking in protein/fat and have way too much moisture. Do they eat cooked rice or beans? Seeds really aren't overly fatty and are an important part of diet as long as they have their place, a low percentage. And if you feed the better more beneficial seeds like sesame that's even better. Are you going to feed TOPs pellets by any chance?

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I know about TOP pellets but i want to know about feeding a good varied diet without any pellets, that can also be healthy without them eating lots of fresh veggies.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I dont think you can feed an over all healthy diet without pellets if you dont feed enough fruit and veggies ...its either or ...either you feed fresh raw whole foods including sprouts with a seed/tree nut mixture and no pellets or you feed pellets and a seed/ tree nuts diet with few raw whole foods and sprouts ...you have to have a rounded out diet and what you have written does sound good but its missing the rounding out part ... :)

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
but what is missing exactly?
-seeds are fed
-nuts can be fed too
- eggs or eggfood can be fed
-sprouted seeds, pulses and grains can be fed
-veggies and herbs are fed, (dehydrated and maybe soaked).

(fresh veggies are offered, but because they almost don't eat veggies i don't mention them in the foodlist)

BeeBop

Just in case you don't know @Vera TOPs are not fortified thus they aren't a true pellet, which I believe is what you are looking for. Unless you don't want to feed pellets at all, which is confusing and I'm not sure what reasoning you would have behind that?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
but what is missing exactly?
-seeds are fed
-nuts can be fed too
- eggs or eggfood can be fed
-sprouted seeds, pulses and grains can be fed
-veggies and herbs are fed, (dehydrated and maybe soaked).

(fresh veggies are offered, but because they almost don't eat veggies i don't mention them in the foodlist)
Im not to sure about the lil guys as I dont keep them ...but the bigger guys need to have a more fruit and veggie based diet if you are not going to feed pellets ..and since you didnt mention what fruits and veggies you feed I assumed you are not feeding enough of the raw whole foods to round out your diet ... :)

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
How much of everything are you offering? With parrotlets eating such a small amount every day I have serious doubts that they will eat the correct proportions of the proposed diet and just go after the seeds.

Teagan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teagan
We feed our birds pellets every day and then they also get fresh spinach and greens, broccoli, and 3 times a week we give them a mix of beans, rice, and corn. They get very little seed.

I am curious why you don't want to use pellets? Our avian vet told us that the pellets help the birds get a complete diet. Have you been told differently?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I know about TOP pellets but i want to know about feeding a good varied diet without any pellets, that can also be healthy without them eating lots of fresh veggies.
You can't without some kind of supplementation to the food. No matter what "varied" diet you serve (which will be lacking in some things and overloading in other things), the bird is going to be selective and only eat the things it likes to the detriment of the other stuff.

I know you're worried because you've read parrotlets and pellets are bad. It's not a proven thing but rather anecdotal. "Some" pellets in the diet are just fine. It's insurance.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
A good way to get some veggies into your birds is to make a bird bread. I start out with a cornbread base, then grate the veggies mine don't like and mix it in. I put in different stuff everytime, including peanut butter, chopped nuts, spirolina, etc... All of mine love it.

There are many, many recipes for bird bread, and most are healthy when the right ingredients are used.

I also work long hours and still feed mine veggies. If I cook the veggies, they go bad faster than when I feed them raw. I do both, but raw ones are fed when it's a work day.

Try different cuts. Some birds like tiny pieces, others like them in larger stick shapes so they can hold and nibble on them. Experiment.

Mine also like stuff hung on skewers. It's fun for them to play with the food on the skewers, and they also eat as they play with it.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Try different cuts. Some birds like tiny pieces, others like them in larger stick shapes so they can hold and nibble on them. Experiment.

Mine also like stuff hung on skewers. It's fun for them to play with the food on the skewers, and they also eat as they play with it.
This is great advice. When I'm talking with people looking to incorporate more fresh things into their bird's diet I tell them to try presenting a food in at least three different ways to see if their bird responds differently.

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I will give it a try. I am now making a simple mash. If they eat this without problems i will ad more ingredients and so on.
I have cooked sweat potato,endive and broccoli. Will make 3 mixes with the veggies chopped in different sizes to see what they like best.
Do you have any advice how to make the chop less wet?

BeeBop

I will give it a try. I am now making a simple mash. If they eat this without problems i will ad more ingredients and so on.
I have cooked sweat potato,endive and broccoli. Will make 3 mixes with the veggies chopped in different sizes to see what they like best.
Do you have any advice how to make the chop less wet?
Sprinkle rolled oats on top, that works like a charm. ;)

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
It is a problem that vegies may spoil during the day..but have you thought about giving your bird stuff on a food spike? My corella get her vegies in the evening, but during the day she has apple, carrot, snowpeas, or a disc of corn (usually two of these choices) to pick at ....it is a bit like eating in the wild as its hanging

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
They somtimes will eat zuchini or carrit offered on a speer. Bit don't you think this will also spoil or grow bacteria when left out from 7am till 6pm?
What other veggies can be used this way?

Rolanda

I also work Full Time, and agree it's hard to get veggies and moist things to them because they spoil. What I have taken to doing is, having chop or whatever ready in the fridge. First thing when my feet hit the floor go down and prepare it for them and put it in their cage. My Guys are hungriest first thing in the morning so they are going to eat it... even if it's just some ad not all. Then I go about getting ready for work. Last thing before I leave I switch the bowls for their regular meal (seed pellet, dried fruit & veggie). Then in the evening, I offer them a little more fruit & veggies or try to share what we're having with dinner.