• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

26 x 14x 20?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I got a temporary cage with 26 inches long x 14 inches wide x 20 inches high dimensions for a baby parrotlet while she is young and clipped from the breeder. I was wondering whether these are good enough dimensions for an adult? What are the minimum requirements? Generally is it more important for a cage to be wide like a pigeon, or high like a Finch?

This is the largest cage I can find in my area with correct bar spacings, and I am mainly familiar with softbills.
Thank you all!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Where do you live? You can get flight cages online for a decent price.

Grace

Meeting neighbors
The rcommended minimum for an adult is 18 inches square so what you have would theoretically work. I started off with a cage that size for my parrotlet. It is best to arrange the perches across the short ends of the cage so that he will have the longest possible flight path when he is able to fly. But it is hard to fit enough toys and things in a cage that small to keep a Parrotlet happy when they mature and get more agile in my opinion. My guy is now in a cage that is 25" x 22" x 29" high and it works pretty good but I wish I had gone with a flight cage for him. It would not have cost much more and I will probably end up buying one for him eventually anyway :)

Steph&Jakey

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie
I have a Prevue small bird flight cage, it's 30x18x18; about 50 bucks online. Then again, I just got my parrotlet; he seems to like it so far, and hasn't explored the whole thing yet. He's clipped, until his wings grow back out, he's been hop-flying around :joyful: