• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

adding a new caique to a M/F pair

dolly's dad

Meeting neighbors
Hi all, have a question about adding a caique to my existing flock (Dennis M 3 yo & Spikey F 2 yo). I had Dennis at first and then added Spikey a year later. I tried to add another bird last year but it was a nightmare because there was not much acclimatization time and things went awry in my personal life and the owner was kind enough to take him/her back. Essentially the two weeks of interaction were screaming fights and whining. My birds would approach the new one but he/she would scream hiss and shriek and my birds followed suit.

Since two or three months now Dennis my male has gotten aggressive with me at night. He fine during the day and they hangout on the porch. He has always been distant unlike the fearless female who will just bulldoze anything in her path. Now he has started attacking if I approach the cage after I tuck them in at night. Just only then and never he tries to bite again any time of the day. I need some advice on whats going on.

I have been thinking about adding one more bird and I want a caique. While I have never seen Dennis and Spikey get it on, they get along fairly well and share a cage. What are the prospects of adding another member successfully?

I know there is no yay or nay cut and dry answer but would like to know from the experts whether it is ok to add a new bird when you already have a M/F pair. IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0261.JPG

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It is a situation fraught with risk. I have seen two handfed babies swap one glance, form a gang and launch an airborne assault on an established flock of adults, all in 15 seconds. A sight to see. They are FEARLESS.

But back to your situation
1) Your birds are a pair and are tightly bonded. The BEST time to add new birds is when they are young, pre-hormonal, all babies playing together. I bring a human round to your house and say he is going to be your new best friend and eat off your plate. Would you like that?. How likely are you to share?. Dont think you are more obstinate or wilful than a caique!

Introduction of a new caique probably will work. Over time. IF you provide separate accommodation and leave them in sight of each other. Don't force any interaction, let it happen over a period of weeks or months

2) When it does happen, you will have an unbalanced threesome. Somebirdy may get kicked out of the existing pairing when the breeding urge hits

3) It is still hormone season. That is likely why your male is more aggressive lately. Its not a good time to upset flock dynamics.

.....so WHY a new bird?. I will buy two new birds soon, because I have two single baby birds who need mates before they reach the terrible twos.

My solution, buy a new PAIR of babies. Keep them in separate groups within sight of each other. Provide loads of space, food dishes and neutral play areas. Slowly merge playtime until the group dynamic takes over.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
What Irishj9 said.

I am curious as to your reasons for adding another bird. Not that you shouldn't, just that it would be easier to advise.

You definitely can not keep them all in the same cage.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Introduction of a new caique probably will work. Over time. IF you provide separate accommodation and leave them in sight of each other. Don't force any interaction, let it happen over a period of weeks or months
This is so true, they do not easily change opinions of one another it is imperative to let them get curious about each other so they have positive interactions.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I forgot to mention your birds look great in those pix. But I wondered at your leaving them out in the open like that, even if only for a few minutes.
Are they clipped? I cant see any blue flight feathers in pic 2 but its a shadowy pic.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The number 3 does not fit in anywhere when you are talking about "pairs". Two's company. Three's a crowd. Totally unnatural way of doing things.

If you get another pair. They're going to need territory that they can claim as theirs that is not the first pairs.

So this isn't just adding a bird. It's opening a big can of worms.

dolly's dad

Meeting neighbors
Thanks Laurie, IrishJ9, and JLCribber. I think I have my answer. I will try and breed dennis and spikes before I can add another pair. I am not sure if they are ready yet but that's a whole new question for another day.

As for my reasons to add a new one - I just want more kids. LOL. Just want to have a bigger flock.

I clip the the birds occasionally when they resume flying and they spend hours in the big palm tree everyday. They only come into the house to sleep. They have a cage on the porch (shaded well) in which they hangout all day and go in and out of the cage. But they love to forage for fruits and berries outside.
Another favorite hangout spot are the mail boxes by the gate. They hop on them back and forth. Overall they spend a good deal of time 8-10 hours a day outside.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Just a reminder, clipped birds can fly, especially outside if a good wind comes in. It's very risky behavior to put them outside like that and I wouldn't suggest it. If there's any way you could create any kind of large enclosure for them, they would be much safer. I'd also be worried about birds of prey.

dolly's dad

Meeting neighbors
Thanks jmfleish, But that's how I always raised them...they wake up and run to the door screaming to be let out and then climb into the cage on the porch. They hop around climb trees come back to eat drink and go back to play...sometimes they come back into the house during midday if they want to preen and rest.

How do I change that? I understand your concerns and sometimes I worry too but not sure if they will adjust easily.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks jmfleish, But that's how I always raised them...they wake up and run to the door screaming to be let out and then climb into the cage on the porch. They hop around climb trees come back to eat drink and go back to play...sometimes they come back into the house during midday if they want to preen and rest.

How do I change that? I understand your concerns and sometimes I worry too but not sure if they will adjust easily.
I wouldn't change a thing. I've done many things over the years that worked out just fine because at the time I did not have any reason to think it wouldn't. It was a gut feeling. It felt natural and there were no ill effects. Your birds have the best of both worlds. Of course there are risks. Freedom and happiness come with risk.

We have another member with a big parrot named Alex. Alex rides on Alan's shoulder on his motorcycle unrestrained. Always has. That's the way things developed because there were no rules or instructions followed. But it works.