• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions needed

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I would like everybody's thoughts please.
when I had Rocky & Tuffy (a girl), they had no artificial lights above their cage. Tuffy only laid one egg in the entire 12+ years that I had her. they lived on opposite wall from my deck doors. they got uncovered in the morning when I got up and were covered at sunset. they only had whatever sunlight that was in my apartment.
Sweet Pea and Bebe have artificial light above their cages. Sweet Pea presented me with another egg this AM. her light has been reduced to 2 hours from 9 - 11 AM and 2 more hours from 5 to 7pm. her last prior egg was April 29, 2017 and has been laying off and on since January of this year. The 7 dummy eggs are back in her nest box and nest box is in her cage. she will not sit on eggs that are on the floor with grate or without grate, in a concave coffee saucer or flat folded up paper towels. believe me, I have tried every which way until two weeks from the past Saturday, to keep the nest box out of her cage.

here are my thoughts: remove all artificial light from the cage area, take the whole she-bang down and out of sight. go back to only what light comes thru the windows and they get covered at sundown, period. both cages covers are dark (Sweet Pea's is black king size sheet with dark navy blue full size sheet over the front of the cage.) there is tiny space, less then 1" width, that is open that a 5 watt night light is plug in below and to the side of her cage. in the evenings, because they are both in my living room I watch TV and have less then 50 watt bulb on. but with the amount of darkness in her cage. (I can't see thru it myself), it should not bother her, hopefully.
I would like your thoughts on this. 16 days is not enough of a rest from all this egg laying. I am planning on running this by both my vets also. your thoughts please ??????

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Does she receive vitamin D other ways as well, such as by pellets, or direct sunlight? I am asking since vitamin D is important for egg laying parrots as it helps them properly use their calcium.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
yes, I bring them outside on to the deck several times a week and pellets. my lighting is just lightbulbs not the fancy bird lights.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
If there is adequate light without the artificial light I would give it a try. Also may need to try no TV in the room after covers go on. There would still be some flickering light filtering through and the noise so may not be resting well.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok, I talked to Dr. Tony today. he said try it but because my living room is dim in the AM, maybe the lights should be on for 2 hours then no lights after that the rest of the day. cover them at sundown. she has laid 2 more eggs since Mother's Day. I will be going to the clinic on Saturday for cleaning party.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I was just going to ask about Sweet Pea. Please update this post and if decreasing the light helps. My girl has decided to lay again after 4-5 yrs of not laying...I think she is at 10 eggs since the beginning of March :(

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am blocking her nest box opening for at least 45 minutes to a hour, so that she gets out and get some food and water. she is not cranky about it but this little chicka has to eat too.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I was at the clinic today and picking all three doctors brains for ideas on this eggie business. at last, when I got home there was another egg today. I love my two to death and then some, but it very frustrating when dummy eggs are not doing what they are suppose to do. Sweet Pea has more calcium type things in her cage, mineral blocks, cuttlebones, perches plus she is getting Vitamin D3 in her pellets, which I am now soaking with a little coconut water so she will eat them. it's been raining cats and monkeys here for days so neither of them have been outside. over 4 " of rain in the last 7 days. they are getting 2 hours of artificial light in the AM and then none afterwards until sundown & they go to bed. she is holed up in her nest box, shuffling her imaginary babies under her breast feathers, except for the time I make her come out to eat, get drink and take a poop. she does come out on her own later in the day, mostly to eat & get a drink of water. she is good sport about coming out in the AM.
according to the Dr.'s ideas and thoughts there are several last resorts left, light bombing her for 24 hours for 7 days, depo shot or luprion (spelling?) or just leaving things to work out on their own time. I don't remember having this much eggie business when I had budgies. I separated them into different cages and we were done with eggies the rest of the season.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
just a short Update: another eggie yesterday.