• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG Grandma is Holding BEAUTIES!!!

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Zooming in on the 'toos...guessing that the 'too in the foreground is a Medium Sulfur Crested...the background 'too....do I see color in the crest...if my eyes aren't deceiving me then I'd guess M2.

...and I'm in love with them both...:heart:

The one in the back looks to have an orangy/pink crest.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
for deep cleaning my bird's cages I use a household nozzle steamer.
But looking at her cages you might need a sledge hammer...
That is nice thing you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
looks like M2 and medium sulfur crested to me also. I love M2's that is what Missy from my cousin's clinic is. she is love 99.5% of time. remember you are a stranger to them even with the Grand daughter with. slow movements, a few treats and lots of Dawn dish soap.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
M2 and sulfur crested.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I figure helping out can't hurt. I don't have a grandma.

You do now. You also have instant grandchildren.

The back one is a Moluccan. The front one could also be a Citron?

Rolanda

for deep cleaning my bird's cages I use a household nozzle steamer.
But looking at her cages you mean ght need a sledge hammer...
That is nice thing you are doing.

Yeah. Not the cleanest I have seen. BUT, I have seen worse! (I've never cleaned worse though! HA!) So I'll go in with some scrapers and a good attitude. She's eighty something and is doing her best. My plan is to knock off what is standing up, then wetting it down and scrubbing. Lastly, disinfect leave it for a bit, spray and then let it dry. I may only be able to get to two this weekend. We'll see!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When we get older, we are reluctant to ask for help, many times can't afford help and so many times the family doesn't like and resents the birds. Your help probably is the very most valuable thing you can do for her and it will help leave the birds with her longer, where they are.
What she said above.....awesome, awesome thing to do for someone that is elderly. Bless you.

Rolanda

You do now. You also have instant grandchildren.

The back one is a Moluccan. The front one could also be a Citron?

How do you tell the difference between Sulfur, Citron, and Umbrella? they have yellow crests... that's all I know.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
It's so generous of you.........It must feel horrible to get older and then not be able to take care of the animals you love so much. And it's hard to watch as others come in and take over because you can't manage like you once could. It's sad and painful to witness. You are a good person Rolanda, you made it possible for her to keep her beloved companions at home and enjoy their company.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Looks like a Sulfur Crested and an Umbrella to me.

This is really a wonderful thing you are doing for the birds, Grandma and yourself. When we get older, we are reluctant to ask for help, many times can't afford help and so many times the family doesn't like and resents the birds. Your help probably is the very most valuable thing you can do for her and it will help leave the birds with her longer, where they are comfortable.

You are earning your angel wings.

It will also give you time to get battle hardened before you adopt them. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How do you tell the difference between Sulfur, Citron, and Umbrella? they have yellow crests... that's all I know.

It's not an Umbrella as they have some yellow on the underside and base of the crest but not yellow crest feathers.

Cockatoo Classifications

Rolanda

My friend just texted me. She told her grandma that I will be coming and doing some things for the birds this weekend. Grandma is excited! She went over to a few family members houses trying to get newspaper for the cages. (I told her to stop her) I go to my Starbucks and get the newspapers they are going to recycle. I'm there before 6am. So usually they are still there from the day before. The Manager said I can take all I want. For my guys, I only need to take what they have available once every few weeks, and I keep a LOT extra. She's also looking forward to the company. My friend said she feels sorry for the birds because Grandma can't do what she used to for them, like many of you have said. She said they are like little orphans... Tore My Heart Out!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Might want to wear a mask when you start chipping away at the poop....

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Rolanda

I buy cage liners and stack them in the bottom tray so I can pull and throw away a sheet and bottom is then clean (makes my life easier that way). The liners I buy keep moisture away from the next layer.

Do you have a bird store near you?

Can't wait to hear how it goes this weekend. I don't have a grandma any more either. You ate doing such a wonderful thing for her.

Rolanda

@Rolanda

I buy cage liners and stack them in the bottom tray so I can pull and throw away a sheet and bottom is then clean (makes my life easier that way). The liners I buy keep moisture away from the next layer.

Do you have a bird store near you?

Can't wait to hear how it goes this weekend. I don't have a grandma any more either. You ate doing such a wonderful thing for her.

I have thought about liners but have only seen them being EXCEPTIONALLY expensive.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Is one of birds like Beaks?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
after cleaning Bebe's cage I learn a few things. after knocking the big chunks off, I hit everything with the hottest water possible and Dawn Dish soap. I tried to let everything soak about 15-20 minutes, scrubbed with 3M scrubbies, then rinsed with more hot water. if you can take the birds out of the cages even better, use the driveway to scrub everything from top to bottom.