• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure, strange behavior

A.V

Moving in
Hello,
I have a 58 day old green cheek conure, and he has recently begun sporadically attacking/biting his own wings, seemingly for no reason. Every time I go check on him there is nothing to be found. I have also noticed him making strange movements with his tongue when I scratch his head for long intervals (the tongue moves up and down repeatedly, beak remaing semi open). Would anybody happen to know what this strange behavior may mean/whether it is normal or not? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you haven't already, get a wellness check for the little guy , if anything is amiss, you'll catch it quickly.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Please consult a bird vet. <3

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Does he have all of his feathers or is he growing pin feathers? He might be "attacking" his own wings because the pin feathers are uncomfortable. Cooper does the tongue up and down thing, and it doesn't worry me at all. It looks to me as though he's enjoying it, because usually his eyes are closed for it.