• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My very first Amazon

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome. She is beautiful. Thank you for adopting her.

If I may offer a piece of advice that I sure wish someone had given me is to go totally at her pace and let her indicate to you what she will and will not accept. It's amazing she let you pet her and you were able to give her a kiss. Fortunately, Amazons are very clear on what they will and will not accept.

Also, there is a lot of misinformation out there about keeping Amazons. Don't pay any heed about that advice that you have to be the big bird and show her who is boss. Didn't work with my hot-headed (but adorable) male. Amazon people here know their stuff. I am still learning.

Are you doing to have her DNAed? Wasabi's adoption record listed him as a female. That was silly. He has all the behavior of a male.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I strongly recommend letting a vet do DNA on any bird. Mine told me if health issues arose, it takes a while to determine sex....lots of different medical issues in male/female parrot bodies.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome. She is beautiful. Thank you for adopting her.

If I may offer a piece of advice that I sure wish someone had given me is to go totally at her pace and let her indicate to you what she will and will not accept. It's amazing she let you pet her and you were able to give her a kiss. Fortunately, Amazons are very clear on what they will and will not accept.

Also, there is a lot of misinformation out there about keeping Amazons. Don't pay any heed about that advice that you have to be the big bird and show her who is boss. Didn't work with my hot-headed (but adorable) male. Amazon people here know their stuff. I am still learning.

Are you doing to have her DNAed? Wasabi's adoption record listed him as a female. That was silly. He has all the behavior of a male.

Agreed. Anything resembling you forcing an issue, like contact, will be met with a setback, like fear, aggression, etc.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it!
UPDATE ON ZORA:
Zora has been here for 10 days now. She is starting to open up a bit, being more vocal. The first thing I do every morning is walk upstairs and make my rounds saying good morning to the birds. She greets me every morning with excitement and talking and making lots of noise, even though one my boys opens up her cage each morning before I get to her. She's doing Very well.
I took her to the vet on Monday. She got her wings clipped, her "pterodactyl talons" trimmed (that had never previously been trimmed, per the vet) and ran some tests. She has a bacterial infection, most likely due to previous poor living conditions, such as a cage that I can guarantee hadn't been cleaned in many months, possibly years, if ever. Not to mention the incredibly (painful) strong odor of cat urine in the small apartment, mixed with the dog marking its territory all over as well. She's on antibiotics for the next 10 days. I do have to wrap her in a towel to administer her meds twice a day, which she hates, but she's actually doing a whole lot better than I thought she would. And I am still able to pet her head while doing this, without her trying to bite me. I consider that a win.
The vet also said, it's seems like Zora had been starved of attention, probably her whole life. Like she wants it so badly, but she's not sure how to accept it or if she should trust anyone. Like this whole getting-attention thing is all new to her. That was my take on her as well.
I did also put her in the tub and give her a gentle shower. She wasn't real happy at first, but then she seemed to be enjoying the warm water sprinkling on her. I know this is her first bath, at the very least, since last October. The previous owner didn't say if Zora had been bathed before, just that she didn't bathe Zora while she had her in her care. After her bath, she wasn't left with many options but to step up on me FOR THE 1ST TIME! I got overly excited, shame on me, so she attempted to fly to her cage once we exited the bathroom, but only made it to the couch now that she's clipped. So my husband had her step up on his arm (omg!!!), and he walked her to her cage. (Hitting big milestones today!) She's been inside her cage napping ever since. I've tried to coax get out a couple times, but she doesn't seem happy with me. Although, she is still letting me pet her while she's perched inside her cage, so there's that. I hope I didn't push her too far. And since this morning's meds & bath events, I've read all these comments to take it slow... I promise to listen! I just wish I would've read them earlier this morning, we may have postponed a bath for now. Live and learn, I guess. Good thing I've got you guys to help me along the way! Thank you :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Victory!

You both sound like you found a Great! Relationship in one another.
:sunflower: :toss:
It personally makes me :rage: very mad in any situation where I hear of neglect with animals, & to the point where they are mentally & physically sick makes me want to:shake:!!!!

You have saved her!
:kiss2:
What a huge life she can have once she's well & a full flock member, in your home. When you quarantine to keep the rest of the flock safe, if she didn't have this bacterial infection is there a time difference in the quarantine time? Like is it: 6 weeks if there wasn't any issues & 8 because you have to wait for anything else to pop up?

New to birds over here, not new from saving other (can't care for themselves) babies. :aquarium::walkdog1::catrub:

:hug6: Rain

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Hi @Rain Bow
Thank you. :)
The typical rule of thumb for quarantining, per my vet, is 30-60 days. I'll keep an eye on her after she finishes her antibiotics, & once her 30 days hits, and go with my gut.
Welcome to AA!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're doing great! Keep going at her pace and things will only get better. It's really a big deal when you hit a milestone totally unexpectedly.

It seems it took a long time for Wasabi let me pet his head without changing his mind and trying to bite. About six months ago he stopped popping his head up to bite me and now he just moves his head away! The first time that happened I said to myself, did that just happen? On occasion, he still tries to give me a good nip.

I don't go beyond three little strokes on his head- seems that's my allowance, but I'll take it.

This doesn't seem like much, but it's a big deal to me!

Congrats on your progress. :cheer:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi @Rain Bow
Thank you. :)
The typical rule of thumb for quarantining, per my vet, is 30-60 days. I'll keep an eye on her after she finishes her antibiotics, & once her 30 days hits, and go with my gut.
Welcome to AA!
Hiya!
I missed some alerts I guess, Sorry for being tardy. Thanks for the time amounts. You have helped me to learn a few things with your thread. Thank you! How is she doing/feeling?

:hug2: Rain

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Hiya!
I missed some alerts I guess, Sorry for being tardy. Thanks for the time amounts. You have helped me to learn a few things with your thread. Thank you! How is she doing/feeling?

:hug2: Rain
No worries. She's doing really good. The stress is causing strain on our developing relationship, but she still regurgitates for me so I think she still loves me. :loveshower:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yea! I bet she does still :heart: you. I knew her antibiotics were almost done, wanted to touch base see if there were NY ice affects.

:gbh:Rain