• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Termite treatment

Debbi Thues

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debbi
Reason this is urgent is because the potential buyer's lender of my home I'm selling has called for termite inspection.

Not a problem.

Treatment is a problem!

Right now, as we speak I have moved to a friend house while some work including painting is being done. I am SUPER protectuve of Katie-Gray (my congo) so always have her away at least a week with house totally open before returning her to home.

This business about termite treatment has got me worried.

The house does not need to be tented.

It only has a very small suggestion of active termites in the attic space. And garage.

I suppose I can get any company to do the treatment, with any type of chemicsl or batural substance as long as it meets Calif state code but want to know what the protocol is for African Gray parrots and the reintroduction of them to a home where attic space and garage have been spot treated.

●What, if any are the less harmful products that meet California code.

●What is the time frame to bring back a parrot, if any, after such a spot treatment?.

I am sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Normal Escrow is 45 days. We do not have a solid buyer yet. But anyone can put an offer in and call for termite inspection and treatment and then back out of the purchase. So I am going to assume for the sake of argument that I get an offer next week, they call for an inspection and find what they found last year and want it treated.

Do I get it treated now and stay at my friends for what ever appropriate time you say?

The termite inspection and treatment is good for (for the sake of California code) up to 6 months.

My house has been on the market for 50 days. There really is no reason for it not to sell except that everyone around me is selling their houses below market price. Because they can and are stupid! II cant do that... i need yo net a certain amount besides I have spent 33 years of blood sweat and tears into my home! I digress...

My asking price is not outragious. The house is, beautiful and so totally upgraded and move in ready just about anyone who see it falls in love with it...does not make a reasonable offer but falls in love!

It is all a matter of timing I know.

But not sell it in 6 months ( the rime frame the treatment would be good for) seems very unlikely!

Can any experts out there give me answers to these 2 questions?

And please... none of this... " I would never do it" from those of you who are NOT EXPERTS but wouldnt do it under any circumstances!!!!

It has to get done! I have no choice!

It is simply a matter of timing.

1- Do I have it done now while Katie and are spending time at a friends and wait the appropriate time to move her back in?

That may mean staying with my friend for some time (depending on your answer).. which I would prefer not to do since her big day cage is not here.

Or

2- Do I move her home now...wait till I get a firm buyer... then move her back into my friends house, AGAIN and let them spray till they puke, never moving her back in, staying at my friends till escrow closes and take her directly to our new home ( which does not need to be treated)?

I think that is 2 questions..

1- is there a SAFE chemical?
2- How long do we stay away?
3- Would it be better to do it now hoping a buyer comes along in 6 months?

4- or wait till solid buyer comes along, move her out for good while treatment is being done and then go directly to my new place once escrow on both houses close?

There that is 4 questions!

I know the logical answer to all this I just wanted EXPERT opinions.

Thanks.
Katie's Mommy, Debbi Thues.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
First, I am not an expert, but years ago I lived in an apartment and they would spray pesticides monthly right under my tiels cage. Then he would later play all over the floor. He lived to be an old man in spite of this. I guess ignorance is bliss. Now I'm much more cautious You may find it will be ok after a few days as long as the whole house isn't fumigated. Hope you get some expert advice that will ease your mind

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
:bump4:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
No matter what the company will tell you there are no "safe" chemicals they spray. The guy that does my yearly termite bond renewal told me they only use safe chemicals that would not harm animals but after he sprayed the smell would choke a horse. Anything that smells that foul could not be safe for a bird. Like Donna, I had tiels and didn't think a lot about it "back in the day". We are much more knowledgeable now and feel lucky our babies weren't harmed. The smell lingers for about 2 days and thats just the outside of the house being sprayed to deter any termites.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
In California, small infestations of termites can be professionally treated with baits. These are installed near the active termite tunnels and are for very targeted killing.

Since the baits are localized (no spraying!) they are much more compatible with a bird in the home (unless the bird has access to the wood where the termites are located and is at risk of ingesting the bait.)

Either way, you'll need to talk through the options with a pest control expert.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can you contact the realtor, let him know your concerns and see what he says, he should know who the company is.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Usually when a home is sold in the US there must be a termite bond. They check for termites and as far as I know to keep the bond up to date you have to have the exterior sprayed regardless if termites are seen. It termites are present the baits are placed and it is recorded "forever" once those baits are set that your home had termite issues...not a great selling point.

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
Please any time you use any kind of chemical pest control take extra precautions with your parrots. Many are toxic to all animals on this earth. A product called Fuse that is used for termite control is toxic to birds, I took this right off the label: www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/FUSE_Label2a.pdf page 30

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This product is toxic to birds and fish and highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates. Do not apply directly to water,
to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Runoff from
treated areas may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in neighboring areas. Do not contaminate water when
disposing of equipment washwaters.
This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops/plants or
weeds. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops/plants or weeds if bees are foraging in
the treatment area.
This chemical demonstrates the properties and characteristics associated with chemicals detected in
groundwater. The use of this chemical in areas where soils are permeable, particularly where the water table
is shallow, may result in groundwater contamination.
Apply this product only as specified on this label. Extreme care must be taken to avoid runoff. Apply only to soil
or other fill substrate that will accept the solution at the specified rate. Do not treat soil that is water-saturated
or frozen or in any conditions where run-off or movement from the treatment area (site) is likely to occur.

A few news articles
Texas pesticide deaths: Chemical may have sickened, but cleanup was fatal - CNN.com
Boy, 10, faces long recovery after pesticide poisoning - CNN.com
UN: 200,000 die each year from pesticide poisoning | News | Al Jazeera
Terminix and Methyl Bromide: Sometimes There's a Good Reason Chemicals Are Banned | American Council on Science and Health

Google Terminix deaths, a lot of people have gotten sick and some have died.

jorge712

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
jorge
We all are the usage of any type of termite controller, regardless of what the company will inform you there are not any safe chemical they spray. Please, any time you use of any type of chemical, pest control take extra precautions. I aware a company, pest control Sydney, their experts nearby Sydney team provide pest control services throughout Sydney, Australia.