• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdie bread/Treat amounts

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
So I made cornbread birdie bread for my brother's cockatiel with cornmeal mix, applejuice, applesauce, and egg shells.
How often can I feed it to her? She loves it, and she been on a seed diet for 2 years, and I want her of a more diverse diet.
So far she's liked rice krispies, bread (it's white bread, so I won't feed it anymore)
Honey graham crackers, and she decided to take a few bites of my white cheese puffs while she was sitting on me.
She won't eat fruits , but I won't give up.:D
She's tried (and dosent like) banana, tomato, and I think that's it..:cautious:
I'll just have to sneak in the healthys to her bird bread..:smug:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That bread is definitely a treat because it's mostly refined flours and sugar. Treats should make up no more than 5 to 10% of the diet, but should still be healthy. All the things you mentioned are not exactly healthy for a bird and should be fed rarely (once or twice a month at most). Budgies tend to favor veggies over fruit.

Birdlovesme

Okay. I knew theyou needed to be fed rarely, just wondering how often. Thanks @Mizzely .
She's a cockatiel, but I can try veggies for my birds too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay. I knew theyou needed to be fed rarely, just wondering how often. Thanks @Mizzely .
She's a cockatiel, but I can try veggies for my birds too.

Sorry, saw the profile pic and assumed! Cockatiels also tend to enjoy veggies over fruits

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, @Mizzely is right, cockatiels definitely prefer veggies over fruit. Try broccoli tops, leafy greens, green beans, peas, and peppers. You can try cutting everything up very small, but your bird might eat the leafy greens and broccoli bigger. Try eating it in front of your bird, and offer the fresh foods in the morning when your bird is hungriest. You can also mix veggies into birdie bread. Sprouts are also a great way to feed your little bird fresh food. They are easy to Sprout yourself, and most birds like them.

Birdlovesme

Okay thanks! Usually if I eat it, she's more willing to eat it, and gives me an opinion by either shaking her head, or eating more! :smuggrin: