• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder search near NC

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Looking for a breeder of Pionites Melanocephala Pallida (Yellow thighs), preferably near central/eastern NC. Have not found anyone yet for this specific variety. I have found a few remote breeders for the other varieties such as Rita Garris from Rainbow parrots.com (GA) and Shady Pines (FL), but finding someone a little closer would be ideal first. Can current Caique owners please make recommendations on breeders, even if not located in NC or specific to the variety mentioned above. I want to explore all options.

Thank you!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah I have already done some searching and used that site too. Looking for recommendations at this point. Where have other Caique owners purchased from?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Where at in NC? I know someone who breeds caiques but I am not sure what kind

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Looking for a breeder of Pionites Melanocephala Pallida (Yellow thighs),
OOPS, that's the wrong latin classification for the yellow thighed. let me help you out.

Melano = black. Cephalus = head. Melanocephalus is the BHC, Black headed caique which actually has ORANGE legs.

The Yellow thighed caique is called Pionites leucogaster xanthomeria, or YTC.

There is a pallid variety which you might be looking for. Its a VERY VERY rare mutation and nobody will sell you a single bird. You will have to sell the wife and buy a pair.

:)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Shady Pines has been breeding Caiques for a very long time. Nothing but a road trip to sunny south FL. I have traveled to get my birds. Have you looked into the Raleigh Durham Caged Bird Society? The bird fair is usually this month at the Fairgrounds. I miss it every year due to work but contacting the bird club could give you leads and local breeders.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
The lady I know only breeds black headed and white bellied ones. I've heard of the lime thighed but Rita is the only one I know of that breeds those. Never heard of the yellow thighed

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
OOPS, that's the wrong latin classification for the yellow thighed. let me help you out.
Hmm, are you positive of this? Seems more research is necessary on my end. I am seeing a lot of conflicting information in all my books. See attached.

At the end of the day, I just preferred the yellow thighed variety (whichever that may end up being).

IMG_20170523_182954.jpg IMG_20170523_183001.jpg IMG_20170523_183028.jpg IMG_20170523_183052.jpg

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Have you looked into the Raleigh Durham Caged Bird Society? The bird fair is usually this month at the Fairgrounds.
Yes I went to my first meeting this past weekend and I am attending the bird fair this coming weekend. :)

This past weekend seemed to be a special presentation type meeting so I did not get a chance to talk with many members, but next weekend at the fair and next month at the meeting, I hope to chat a little more with everyone to get some direction.

Last edited:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
The lady I know only breeds black headed and white bellied ones. I've heard of the lime thighed but Rita is the only one I know of that breeds those. Never heard of the yellow thighed
Can you put me in touch please? Where in NC is she located?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Can you put me in touch please? Where in NC is she located?
She is in Henderson, NC about an hour north of Raleigh. The place is called Birds of Paradise. I will see if I can locate her phone number. She moved into a bigger place and changed her number

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hmm, are you positive of this? Seems more research is necessary on my end. I am seeing a lot of conflicting information in all my books. See attached.

At the end of the day, I just preferred the yellow thighed variety (whichever that may end up being).

View attachment 250551 View attachment 250552 View attachment 250553 View attachment 250554
I think the confusion is that when you say yellow thighed you simply mean a caique with yellow thighs.

"Yellow-thighed caique" is the common named for a subspecies of white-bellied caique and as a name is not used for any black-headed caiques.

The common name for the subspecies you want is Pallid Caique.

I hope that clears things up.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I think the confusion is that when you say yellow thighed you simply mean a caique with yellow thighs.
Ah ha, yes, I am referring to a black headed caique with yellow thighs. Yes that makes more sense now. So what is the correct subspecies name? Thanks!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You are looking for the Pallid Caique or Pionites melanocephalus pallidus.

Here is a list of taxonomic names and common names for caiques.

Pionites melanocephalus = Black-headed caique has two subspecies namely:

- Pionites melanocephalus melanocephalus
= Black-headed caique.

- Pionites melanocephalus pallidus = Pallid caique.

Pionites leucogaster = White-bellied caique have three subspecies namely:

- Pionites leucogaster leucogaster = Green-thighed caique

- Pionites leucogaster xanthomerius = Yellow-thighed caique

- Pionites leucogaster xanthurus = Yellow-tailed caique

Can you see why mentioning the yellow thighs in conjunction with the Black-headed Caique was confusing?

If you need to know more about the species/subspecies distinctions we can help :)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
It seems even with the Pallid caique, they still have a little bit of orange on the nap of their neck? Is this true or are my google results just getting contaminated with other sub species? The Pallid caique has both yellow thighs and a yellow neck (including nape)?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It seems even with the Pallid caique, they still have a little bit of orange on the nap of their neck? Is this true or are my google results just getting contaminated with other sub species? The Pallid caique has both yellow thighs and a yellow neck (including nape)?
I don't know a whole lot about them but my understanding is that they are just a bit more yellow than orange in both places.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks Laurie, yup, that's the one "Pionites m. pallida" (if possible). If it turns out they are really rare and are not bred locally or really at all, then I will have to shift to the more common variety.